Tell Us About Your Favorite Local Cryptid!

show-and-tell
cryptids

I think this is from the delightful Scarfolk Council project!

I lived in the fairly nearby delegation of Tlalpan for almost a decade and never knew that there were mines in Iztapalapa , but then again there are so many hidden secrets in Mexico city , so many hidden histories and so much to document here on Atlas Obscura.

Have you visited Cerro de la Estrella ? It has some really beautiful Aztec stone carved images of Jaguars , eagles and coyotes , in fact it looks beautiful.

I never actually got to this place , as when I lived in DF Iztapalapa was way too dangerous to even contemplate visiting and I knew too many people who had been mugged. I even knew one guy who was kidnapped there.

But as you are living within the area it goes without saying that you will know the vibes and risky areas etc. you could possibly check it out , it could even be a cool idea to add it to Atlas Obscura even if just to document and spread awareness of its existence

• Jorge , sorry I hadn’t been reading reports about the increase in cartel crime in the area , I wasn’t suggesting you risk your life for an AO entry , No quise offenderte , lo siento

I lived in the inhabitable areas of El Cerro de la Estrella from birth to 5 years old, but I don’t remember those carvings. I remember “La Cueva del Diablo” (The Devil’s Cave), a hole which had caused many accidents (people would fall and break a bone or something; nothing too terrible). I don’t know if that’s the real, official name, but that’s how my family’s grown ups called it.

There are feral dogs living there now, or there were a few years ago, and it was known that they attacked people in packs. Scary monsters, those dogs! But no supernatural story appeared, that I know of. I think people doesn’t need ghosts and devils to scare them now when there are real monsters, like feral dogs and rapists and gangs.

Years ago, I edited a magazine for an institution, and one of the girls writing, made an article about the museum and the ritual of El Fuego Nuevo (The New Fire) that take place in El Cerro (actually, the colony I lived in is called Fuego Nuevo, although it was called Luis Echeverría at the time); it was interesting but I have never been to. I guess I should.

The mines are not actual mines, they are called like that but they are, I don’t know how to explain it (or if they have a proper name). There are mountains, and those mountains are excavated for gravel and sand; some are natural and some are artificial.

Totally agree , Jorge. Aaaa , the stray dogs , that I do remember but I didnt know that was Cerro de la Estrella , I assumed it was somewhere in the State of Mexico.

They are used to feeding on the human remains of victims left by the Cartels and have begun to see humans as prey. It was the same on the Russian front in WW1 when wolves were just eating human remains all the time and lost fear of living humans and saw them as prey.

I’ll look up the history of the mining , its an interesting area that I never got to explore I guess , all of the delegations have their own human history and its often very dark.

No offence taken, at all. I didn’t take it like that, and I agree that it might be a nice place to explore with Atlas Obscura; the new government in Iztapalapa, it appears, will implement security programs, perhaps they reach the area and it can attact some tourism, even if only local. I will investigate and ask about it.

This is weird and kind of lovely.

I would totally eat it.

Agreed , I hope they will clean things up a bit , although I am not so optimistic about it I guess.

That looks like a great exhibition Monsieur_Mictlan. I love the Polynesian people and their art too.

Except it’s actually only yards from my house.

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the lizard people that live under Los Angeles yet.

As an LA guy, I’m ashamed that I’ve never heard of this. Great find.

Essentially, local to all of us, I would toss in the Bat People of the Moon. In 1835 when The Sun wasn’t selling enough papers, they published a series of articles about how bat people had been discovered on the moon because - pah! - journalistic integrity wasn’t invented yet. Probably plagiarized from Edgar Allen Poe, the world got swept up in it. The paper never retracted the story.

:genie:

As I recall, that kid’s father told her, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so” (which is why she wrote to the editor to clarify the Santa Claus controversy). So, hmm, bat people on the Moon? Maybe we just haven’t been to the right part of the Moon yet.

I actually love that it became a legit paper. Especially knowing that the thing that saved it from bankruptcy was such a ballsy con job.

Could have been plagiarized from an older story / civilization.

There are lots of Mayan beliefs to this day about bat-people and the moon , and the ancient Mayans had a bat god associated with the moon , Lord Zotz.

zotz bat - Google Search…0…1…gws-wiz-img.iR6fIyuGvwk#imgrc=vvkWscVsjE_gaM:

Wonder if this where BatBoy came from :thinking::thinking: those papers terrified me in the grocery line as a kid

There’s this very stupid big orange menace – some say he is even the president of the united states! It is awful, and certainly the scariest cryptid of all: please convince me that he is not real!!