"The Chef Bringing Native American Flavors to Communities in Quarantine" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, The Chef Bringing Native American Flavors to Communities in Quarantine. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

Judging by most articles, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that AO has an overall social justice/progressive lean.

Which is why I find it so odd that stories such as this and the Cahokia one (https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/native-american-farming-cahokia) seem to point out a style guide without much of a standard to wording related to Indigenous peoples of the Americas.

My understanding is that in English, “Native American” is almost exclusively used for the indigenous people of the US. But in both articles it seems to be used for the people of all the Americas.

Not sure if “Amerindians” has fallen out of favor, but I last knew that to be the accepted term for the Pre-Columbian peoples from the Canadian/Alaskan Arctic to Tierra del Fuego. This of course is extra confusing due to “America” having a different definition depending on who’s asking and who’s answering.

I only intend this as constructive criticism. If the terms are used interchangeably, it comes off as a bit US-centric, understandable since AO is based there, but perhaps something to avoid.