The Child Eater of Bern

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of The Child Eater of Bern in Bern, Switzerland. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

As one of many statues and fountains found along the main thoroughfare through old town Berne, this one frightened me the most. My mother would tell me if I did something bad, she would send me to the Ogre and he would do away with me! I grew up with this image, and when I finally saw my mother’s Homeland in 1980, I got to see the beast himself. It was only then that she told me that her mother, grandmother, and uncles would also threaten her with the Ogre. The continuity of tales is kept alive by generations experiencing the same emotions and reactions to a thing as visceral as this image.

2 Likes

Very disturbing statue , looks like the Goya painting “Saturn devouring his son” , but I guess if its almost 500 years old than it even predates it

Reminds me of the depictions of Cronos.

1 Like