The Cross in The Woods

Hello everyone, I had remembered visiting a giant statue of Christ on the Cross from my teen years. But I could not quite place it. I remember going on a long trip and seeing it with my mother. It was a dark wooden color. I typed in statues of Christ in America on the internet and I found “The Cross in the Woods shrine” in Northern Michigan. I was born and raised in Michigan. That must be it, I thought!.. When I clicked on the website, sure enough! There was the Cross just as I had remembered it from 35 yrs ago. I then remembered it was a trip my mother and I went on along with my sister and her husband, Scott and Rhoda back in 1984. We were traveling up to Mackinaw Island and stopped in to see this huge statue of Christ on the Cross on the way there. I’m glad to see it’s still there… Someday I will return and see it again.

1 Like

The statue needs to be abolished or torn down. Christ is no longer on the cross. He resurrected from the dead three days later and ascended to heaven 40 days later and is now seated at the right hand of the Father in heaven, from where he will return one day to gather his people unto himself. 1 Corinthians 15. He is risen from the dead.

Yet the crucifixes used as part of the rosary beads and as a necklace by Roman Catholic Americans always shows the crucified Christ. I don’t know why because I was raised in a Protestant (and Anabaptist) church where the picture behind the altar was Jesus at a wooden door. Perhaps you can Google it or ask a Catholic friend or acquaintance. Or a reader here might have the answer. They seem to be intelligent and educated folks who often know a little about a lot of things or a lot about some things. Wouldn’t hurt to ask!