The Funeral Rites of Torajaland

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of The Funeral Rites of Torajaland in Rantepao, Indonesia. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Does anyone has any information about flight to this particular area? I found this link https://www.toraja-info.com/flight-to-tana-toraja/ but i cannot get more information on how to book it.

Any information will be appreciate it.

Transnusa is an airline that flies into Tana Toraja daily except Sundays. I’m not sure if you can get that flight pattern out of Jakarta, but it for sure flies out of Makassar (airport code UPG). Good luck! Post about it and tell us when you get back!

The funeral ceremonies of Tana Toraja last four days and can take months, or years, of planning, during which time the mummified remains of the dead reside in the family home. In fact, the family continues to interact with them as is they are only sick. The person is not considered dead until the the casket is turned the night before the burial on the fourth day of the funeral.

We had the privilege of seeing the livestock market (animal sacrifice is art of the ceremony), various grave sites in giant rocks and cliffsides, the baby graves which have an amazing story behind them, one day of the funeral ceremony and the mummies of an older couple who died five years apart, but were going to be buried together.

This is a very interesting culture and a great trip that’s well worth your time. Just beware, there’s a 10 hour bus ride to get from Makassar to Rantepao (in Tana Toraja), but at least the bus is pretty comfy.