The Long, Storied Controversy Over Cheese on Apple Pie

Apple pie with cheddar is delicious, and for those that think otherwise, all I can say is, “More for me!”

A number of the crepe restaurants around the Bay Area do an apple / cinnamon / brown sugar / cheddar dessert crepe, which is also great.

1 Like

I think you mean “edible,” not “inedible” in reference to the crust; editing matters!
As a New Englander, I love cheddar with apple pie, a very traditional way to serve it. And (vanilla) ice cream as well. The point being: dairy. I often just pour heavy cream over my pie if I don’t have ice cream handy.

2 Likes

English person here: I refer readers to the Desserts section of the menu at my current favourite local restaurant…

https://ranfieldsbrasserie.co.uk/menu/a-la-carte/

“Apple tart tatin, melting Camembert, baby fig compote”

…sweet, gooey, syrupy, buttery, appley, cheesy heaven on a plate and the most sensational endings to a meal I’ve ever had. Mmmmmmm…

2 Likes

Fruit and cheese have been a popular, even standard combination probably for as long as cheese has been made. The combination of apple pie and cheese, with the added sugar in the pie enhances its balance of salty and sweet, another classic mix. The photo of the apple pie with cheddar and bacon bits is particularly appealing. Can anyone point me to a recipe?

2 Likes

I will use a dollop of a full-fat Greek yogurt (or triple-cream skyr if I can get it) on pie, crisp, or other fruit desserts, in preference over ice cream. Either plain, or a mildly sweetened vanilla or honey flavor, or perhaps something with the same fruit included. I find the tartness balances out the syrupy-ness of the dessert better than ice cream.

1 Like

Gosh, everything there looks great!