The Lost City of Heracleion

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of The Lost City of Heracleion in Al Maadeyah, Egypt. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

How did it become submerged? Could it be much older than 2000 years?

Pretty sure it was an earthquake, ground subsided water covered it. Amazing find, makes you wonder how many more such places might exist under the oceans around the globe.

1 Like

Yep most experts believe a combination of earthquakes, tidal waves, and rising sea levels played a role. Sunken and hidden cities amaze me @KenJ Like all the remnants of lost cities they are finding in the Amazon. There is also a sunken city off the coast of India I believe.

I think there are probably a ton of the around the Caribbean and Florida Peninsula, you know the water level was 400’ lower during the ice age and large animal bones are found in pits on many of the islands.

1 Like

Very true! Also makes me think of what type of fossils might be under the ice in Antartica if we are to believe that the continent was once a more tropical climate. So many mysteries.

1 Like

Antarctica Archaeologists for Global Warming!

1 Like