The Most 'Science-Fiction' Place You've Encountered?

show-and-tell

The Guggenheim still feels like the future to me!

2 Likes

Whoa, this looks incredible. Thank you for sharing it!

Recent conversation in Chicago is calling for the “eyesore to be torn down” but I always thought the Illinois State Building in Chicago had that Death-Star interior feel to it :?)

8 Likes

From Tokyo:

6 Likes

There are quite a few of these kinds of LED-based buildings being built now, but 10 years ago when I took these pictures, this was quite a sight for me.

The Ars Electronica Center, in Linz, reflecting on the Danube.
More than 5000 m² of outer glass utilizing 40,000 high-powered LEDs.

The side of the Lentos Kunstmuseum.
Notice the museum’s name etched in the glass.

4 Likes

Las Vegas - The Aria Hotel and Cosmopolitan complex. This was the view we had from our condo on a trip we took there a few years ago. I thought it looked pretty space aged!

6 Likes

Another Las Vegas:

4 Likes

Like from Logan’s Run.

1 Like

I still wanna skate down those ramps! :grin:

2 Likes

Canadian Museum of Human Rights.

5 Likes

My first encounter with Sinclair,Wyoming was driving by it at dusk. Still waiting for one of those towers to blast off.

5 Likes

The Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta immediately comes to mind. It’s a 1.4 million square foot facility with large, impossibly high-ceiling corridors and multiple massive conference rooms, making it reminiscent of the Jedi Temple from Star Wimage

ars or something.

3 Likes

Grace Farm in New Canaan, CT, USA

12 Likes

I visited the Burj Khalifa in Dubai a month ago and thought it was Very Outer Space looking! My friends commented on my photos of it that it looked like I was on another planet.

11 Likes

I know this is a very contentious building, but it’s actually on my bucket list of things to see in person. It looks like hot tomatoes to me.

2 Likes

51%20PM

Atomium in Belgium. I didn’t get to go inside, but outside was super cool!

6 Likes

a few…

the well, at ground zero, nyc:

the new american wing, metropolitan museum of art, nyc:

the revel, atlantic city, nj:

red rock canyon, nevada (near las vegas):

the las vegas strip at sunrise:

3 Likes

36%20AM
Garden by the Bay in Singapore - super futuristic!

15 Likes

Vancouver, Canada IS the futuristic city to top em all. It goes from classic colonial European to places like Vancouver House, plus the multicultural-ness makes it feel like it could be a city anywhere.

6 Likes

One of my favorite weird science-fiction looking places, Robolights.

6 Likes