The Most 'Science-Fiction' Place You've Encountered?

Las Vegas - The Aria Hotel and Cosmopolitan complex. This was the view we had from our condo on a trip we took there a few years ago. I thought it looked pretty space aged!

6 Likes

Another Las Vegas:

4 Likes

Like from Logan’s Run.

1 Like

I still wanna skate down those ramps! :grin:

2 Likes

Canadian Museum of Human Rights.

5 Likes

My first encounter with Sinclair,Wyoming was driving by it at dusk. Still waiting for one of those towers to blast off.

5 Likes

The Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta immediately comes to mind. It’s a 1.4 million square foot facility with large, impossibly high-ceiling corridors and multiple massive conference rooms, making it reminiscent of the Jedi Temple from Star Wimage

ars or something.

3 Likes

Grace Farm in New Canaan, CT, USA

13 Likes

I visited the Burj Khalifa in Dubai a month ago and thought it was Very Outer Space looking! My friends commented on my photos of it that it looked like I was on another planet.

11 Likes

I know this is a very contentious building, but it’s actually on my bucket list of things to see in person. It looks like hot tomatoes to me.

2 Likes

51%20PM

Atomium in Belgium. I didn’t get to go inside, but outside was super cool!

6 Likes

a few…

the well, at ground zero, nyc:

the new american wing, metropolitan museum of art, nyc:

the revel, atlantic city, nj:

red rock canyon, nevada (near las vegas):

the las vegas strip at sunrise:

3 Likes

36%20AM
Garden by the Bay in Singapore - super futuristic!

15 Likes

Vancouver, Canada IS the futuristic city to top em all. It goes from classic colonial European to places like Vancouver House, plus the multicultural-ness makes it feel like it could be a city anywhere.

6 Likes

One of my favorite weird science-fiction looking places, Robolights.

6 Likes

My pick, also!

2 Likes

I’m surprised that no one chose the Science Fiction Museum in Seattle. The building also houses a music museum. The exterior reeks of science fiction.
Another choice that nobody chose was the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles which featured in the “Get Smart” movie.
I’m sorry that I don’t have photos of either to share.

2 Likes

Two thoughts here. I’ve been through the Denver airport a bunch of times, but after one of my buddies in Longmont explained to me the Masonic symbolism theories I can’t help but see it every time. :slight_smile:

The one that I really enjoy here in Downtown Pgh is the sight of the steam tunnels when it’s cold out and water gets in…

The explanation: PACT (Pittsburgh Allegheny County Thermal http://pacthermal.com/) sells steam to a bunch of the buildings in town for heating. When the tunnels take on water via flooding or water runoff during cold weather said water vaporizes on the pipes in the steam tunnels. Maybe more surreal than “sci-fi” but it’s still awesome the first time you walk down through town late at night and there’s steam billowing from manholes every 50 feet in places.
s

2 Likes

Disney Concert Hall:

5 Likes

The Atlanta Art Museum has been used in a lot of Sci-Fi movies

Photo by Joeff Davis.

7 Likes