The Most 'Science-Fiction' Place You've Encountered?

show-and-tell

I know this is a very contentious building, but it’s actually on my bucket list of things to see in person. It looks like hot tomatoes to me.

2 Likes

51%20PM

Atomium in Belgium. I didn’t get to go inside, but outside was super cool!

6 Likes

a few…

the well, at ground zero, nyc:

the new american wing, metropolitan museum of art, nyc:

the revel, atlantic city, nj:

red rock canyon, nevada (near las vegas):

the las vegas strip at sunrise:

3 Likes

36%20AM
Garden by the Bay in Singapore - super futuristic!

15 Likes

Vancouver, Canada IS the futuristic city to top em all. It goes from classic colonial European to places like Vancouver House, plus the multicultural-ness makes it feel like it could be a city anywhere.

6 Likes

One of my favorite weird science-fiction looking places, Robolights.

6 Likes

My pick, also!

2 Likes

I’m surprised that no one chose the Science Fiction Museum in Seattle. The building also houses a music museum. The exterior reeks of science fiction.
Another choice that nobody chose was the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles which featured in the “Get Smart” movie.
I’m sorry that I don’t have photos of either to share.

1 Like

Two thoughts here. I’ve been through the Denver airport a bunch of times, but after one of my buddies in Longmont explained to me the Masonic symbolism theories I can’t help but see it every time. :slight_smile:

The one that I really enjoy here in Downtown Pgh is the sight of the steam tunnels when it’s cold out and water gets in…

The explanation: PACT (Pittsburgh Allegheny County Thermal http://pacthermal.com/) sells steam to a bunch of the buildings in town for heating. When the tunnels take on water via flooding or water runoff during cold weather said water vaporizes on the pipes in the steam tunnels. Maybe more surreal than “sci-fi” but it’s still awesome the first time you walk down through town late at night and there’s steam billowing from manholes every 50 feet in places.
s

2 Likes

Disney Concert Hall:

5 Likes

The Atlanta Art Museum has been used in a lot of Sci-Fi movies

Photo by Joeff Davis.

7 Likes

The Earthships in Taos, New Mexico. When driving over to them it looks like a scene straight out of Star Wars. They are so cool.

8 Likes

Agreed. I live in Atlanta and have gone to many events there!

This McDonalds with a space ship embedded inside!
Can you guess where?
Hint: New Mexico

2 Likes

The dome of Reichstag, Berlin.

5 Likes

Antenna Farm atop Sandia Peak, Albuquerque NM

3 Likes

Alkek Library at Texas State University in San Marcos. I always felt like I was headed to a dystopian capitol building walking up those stairs.

4 Likes

Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP) in Seoul

15 Likes

The capsule hotel at Narita airport.

Any building by Gaudí.

Osaka and Tokyo. For specific examples, see their classically futuristic entertainment districts replete with giant neon signs, their toilets, the automatic doors in most shops, the hot and cold drinks in vending machines located in the middle of nowhere, and the generally utopian lack of either garbage or crime.

11 Likes

When tasked with deciding what place feels the most science-fiction-y to me, the image that came to mind first was that of St. Louis’s Gateway Arch, which is both a historical wonder and a Sci-fi marvel. I can think of several other examples, but I chose the “Gateway to the West” because I just happened to visit there for the first time less than a year ago and was stunned by the experience because it was so unlike any other place I had ever been and not at ALL what I had expected. Mid-century retro futurism is the vibe that’s felt on arrival and that rhythm flows throughout the entirety of the experience. Architect Eero Saarinen (1910 - 1961), who was considered a structural expressionist, neo-futurist and visionary, created the design for the arch along with it’s underground visitors center and museum. His abstract vision for the monument to symbolize America’s westward expansion was chosen unanimously and praised for its dynamic forms and modernist aesthetic. Designed in 1947 and completed in 1965 (unfortunately Saarinen died before it’s completion), this mind bending stainless steel structure with it’s provocative curved form is just as wondrous today as when created. As you can see from my photos there is so much for any Mid-century Sci-fi fan to love — from the retrofuturism tramcars to the Atomic Age underground community. This place has SO much more to offer than meets the eye — and to think there was a time in my life when I didn’t believe it was possible to go up to the top — I thought it was urban legend! :wink:

9 Likes