The Most 'Science-Fiction' Place You've Encountered?

show-and-tell

Agreed. I live in Atlanta and have gone to many events there!

This McDonalds with a space ship embedded inside!
Can you guess where?
Hint: New Mexico

2 Likes

The dome of Reichstag, Berlin.

5 Likes

Antenna Farm atop Sandia Peak, Albuquerque NM

3 Likes

Alkek Library at Texas State University in San Marcos. I always felt like I was headed to a dystopian capitol building walking up those stairs.

4 Likes

Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP) in Seoul

15 Likes

The capsule hotel at Narita airport.

Any building by Gaudí.

Osaka and Tokyo. For specific examples, see their classically futuristic entertainment districts replete with giant neon signs, their toilets, the automatic doors in most shops, the hot and cold drinks in vending machines located in the middle of nowhere, and the generally utopian lack of either garbage or crime.

11 Likes

When tasked with deciding what place feels the most science-fiction-y to me, the image that came to mind first was that of St. Louis’s Gateway Arch, which is both a historical wonder and a Sci-fi marvel. I can think of several other examples, but I chose the “Gateway to the West” because I just happened to visit there for the first time less than a year ago and was stunned by the experience because it was so unlike any other place I had ever been and not at ALL what I had expected. Mid-century retro futurism is the vibe that’s felt on arrival and that rhythm flows throughout the entirety of the experience. Architect Eero Saarinen (1910 - 1961), who was considered a structural expressionist, neo-futurist and visionary, created the design for the arch along with it’s underground visitors center and museum. His abstract vision for the monument to symbolize America’s westward expansion was chosen unanimously and praised for its dynamic forms and modernist aesthetic. Designed in 1947 and completed in 1965 (unfortunately Saarinen died before it’s completion), this mind bending stainless steel structure with it’s provocative curved form is just as wondrous today as when created. As you can see from my photos there is so much for any Mid-century Sci-fi fan to love — from the retrofuturism tramcars to the Atomic Age underground community. This place has SO much more to offer than meets the eye — and to think there was a time in my life when I didn’t believe it was possible to go up to the top — I thought it was urban legend! :wink:

9 Likes

This playground in Komagome, Tokyo exists so far in the future that the aliens have landed, taken over the planet, used up the resources, and then abandoned it.

8 Likes

The chapel where my fiance and I plan on being married is pretty sci-fi. I always think it’s what church would look like on a ST:TNG planet. Firestone-Baars chapel in Columbia, MO on the Stephens College campus. It was designed by Eero Saarinen, the same guy who designed the Arch in St. Louis.

!

9 Likes

@Lolaswhitetrashparad Yes! Very Mad Max:

@jenniferrfields Spectacular photos! I grew up in St. Louis and would take that Arch elevator once a year on a field trip. Those photos brought back memories. Certainly mid-century, but still very much of the future.

I’d nominate almost anything by the late, great Zaha Hadid, including this mix of old and new in Antwerp:

And this incredible building in Baku:

9 Likes

Whoa! That red floor is simply incredible. I wish more libraries would take inspiration from museum design.

2 Likes

Wow - I have so many new places to visit, and new appreciations for places I’d love to revisit. @jenniferrfields especially, thank you for calling out the unexpected elegance of the arch!

My contributions are in the otherworldy, dystopian, and pulp realms - respectively:

5 Likes

The Cushing Brain Collection in the Yale medical library is like visiting the laboratory of a mad scientist in a Guillermo del Toro film.

E.g.:

5 Likes

@larissa Yes, you’re quite welcome — I adore your contributions as well! Going to read all about them straight away. Btw, I’m new to this platform here so please forgive me if it takes time for my responses.

2 Likes

@tyler Thank you so much! And I agree — I love just about everything by Zaha Hadid and those are two stunning examples!

2 Likes

That Antwerp building is unreal. I already pulled it up on archdaily.com

1 Like

“Lizard man” at the Natural History Museum in Madrid. Now that’s sci-fi.

Lizard people’s headquarters in Madrid?

6 Likes

I go with the tried and true: Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia. It is the uncanny valley of churches–similar in structure and purpose to your everyday gothic cathedral, but everything just a little weird, a little off–more organic, more strange, more white, more dripping. And that makes it feel like an alien temple. It is the church where the alien overlords hold their anointing ceremony, where the alien queen descends annually into her pod, where they hold their decennial Festival of Blinding. I especially feel this way about the cavernous spaces on the inside of the church, less so about the outside.

7 Likes

Good one. Definitely one of the most other worldly places I’ve been:

6 Likes