The Most 'Science-Fiction' Place You've Encountered?

show-and-tell

Good one. Definitely one of the most other worldly places I’ve been:

6 Likes

It’s right out of THX 1138! Great pictures.

1 Like

The exterior of the Geisel Library at University of California San Diego

8 Likes

Yes, very much so! That’s why I was so stunned when I went there… definitely not what I had expected. Unless you have researched or visited the arch previously, I think it must be a surprise to almost everyone. IMHO it is truly a hidden gem of a National Park monument!

Well, not as much “hidden” as underexposed, lol! :wink:

1 Like

@shatomica Great shot! I love the aesthetic of this enormous hotel, it did come to mind when I thought about what to post here. Also love the fact that it was used as a filming location in The Hunger Games.

1 Like

The “Mushrooms “ in Seville,Spain is so far one of the most futuristic building I have seen

4 Likes

Last year, I went to Japan. So - Tokyo, right? WRONG! Well, I mean, yes - but -

I also stayed at a capsule hotel in Kyoto that was the first in the “Nine Hours” chain. The chain was the brainchild of a female Japanese industrial designer and an answer to traditional capsule hotels that were aimed at men only. The design is like something out of Kubrick’s 2001. Modestly, the genders are separated and there is even a female only elevator that takes you to the ladies quarters (we had our own lounge on the second floor, whereas the guys had to make do on the ground level). As I said in my review on whatever-hotel-site-it-was, “The Future Called. They Have Rooms Available Tonight.”

4 Likes

@Emiy Oh wow, this chapel is breathtaking — it will be an unforgettable experience being married there!

1 Like

Yes! I was also thinking the inside of Sagrada Familia. It’s so modern and weird and beautiful. I’m in awe that a place first designed in the late 1800s still looks like it’s straight out of the future.

1 Like

I definitely want to visit the Denver airport now! Come to think of it, airports tend to either seem futuristic to me, or decidedly not futuristic.

The Charles de Gaulle Airport interior seriously blew me away. I had not expected much upon seeing the outside, but the escalators inside in particular struck me as futuristic — additionally, in person, they felt squishy to stand on, which added to the otherworldliness of them.

Ztraceni / Lost by Kačka a Ondra, on Flickr

Mesh by Krassy Can Do It, on Flickr

Here are the escalators, cool enough to be on an album cover:

The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot.jpg
By Source, Fair use, Link

Aside from airports, I’ve mentioned this in the forum before, but the Marin County Civic Center is basically like a grounded alien vessel. Pictures do not do it justice. I’ve spent hours mulling around the building and taking in the angles and details.

Finally, the Hyatt Regency in San Francisco is a worthy stop near the Ferry Building, where you can feel like you’re being beamed up in one of the glass elevator pods.

Dramatic view of elevators through light curtain:

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - Elevators by Kevin Dooley, on Flickr

A more typical view:

Hyatt Regency by Dale Cruse, on Flickr

Not a bad place to get a drink, either.

Hyatt Regency 1 10-7-12 by Paul Sullivan, on Flickr

4 Likes

I adore Zaha Hadid’s work. We recently visited her bridge at Zaragoza, and were so sad we couldn’t walk across it.

2 Likes

I agree about La Sagrada Familia, and look forward to seeing external views WITHOUT cranes in a few years.

1 Like

Wow this looks so much like the apartment block in the movie Brazil where Sam Lowry lives.

2 Likes

Funny story about that place: when it was first built the A/C couldn’t compensate for all the heat that built up inside, like a greenhouse effect, and there was often a fog hanging at the upper levels.

Those are both by the awesome architect, Frank Gehry!

1 Like

The Washington DC Metro (subway) system

image https://i0.wp.com/video.aia.org/aiaawards/2014/2014-twenty-five-year/i/photo2.jpg?zoom=2

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/Ehemaliges_TWA-Terminal_am_John_F._Kennedy_International_Airport_in_New_York.JPG/2560px-Ehemaliges_TWA-Terminal_am_John_F._Kennedy_International_Airport_in_New_York.JPG

image https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/fetch/c_fill,h_268,q_75,w_400/http://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1523972457/clients/albany/EmpireStatePlaza_9__1a9630f7-34c2-4b25-91bf-8cb5fa03e7d4.jpg

4 Likes

Oh I love the earthships! Great call.

1 Like

Whoa. Congratulations on your wedding from the future!

1 Like

If I am not mistaken “Lizard Man” is Anthroposaurus Sapiens, a thought experiment that began if I remember correctly, as a sculpture in Colorado, resulting from the collaboration of several paleontologists. They chose dinonychus, a human sized dinosaur from the upper Cretaceous, with an opposable thumb and the biggest brain available at DinoMart at the time. A British author, Mike Magee, took the idea and ran with it to write Who Lies Sleeping?, which continued the thought experiment linking the extinction of the dinosaurs with our own possibly impending extinction. Back then I’d hit a dead end in a research project and this seemed like a divine intervention solution due to some dinosaur discoveries in Arlington, Texas at the time. It turned out to be only a temporarily delayed dead end though, when Richard Bakker, one of the thought experimenters, shot his own ideas full of holes. It came as a relief to be able to drop that idea because even my most open minded friends were beginning to back away from me when I presented it as a serious proposal.
I had not thought of Anthroposaurus Sapiens for years until I ran into Mike Magee at an academic resource community online to find he was alive and still publishing, though not on that weird subject. I thought my scaly old pal had disappeared too, but thanks to you I see he’s alive and well, so too speak, having skipped the country and started a second career in Spain. You really made my day with this post, terrazu! Thanks.

3 Likes

Wow. Thanks for that response and info. I have to say I was very puzzled by it when I encountered it at the Natural History Museum. I couldn’t find any label or description, and no one to ask. So it remained a mystery until now. I did assume it was something like you describe, a “what if”, but I’ve been to lots of natural history museums around the world, and don’t recall ever seeing a fantastical beast like this one. Thanks again for that story and context.