'The Motherland Calls'

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of ‘The Motherland Calls’ in Volgograd, Russia. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

Unfortunately, from May 2019 to May 2020 this awesome statue is complete under reconstruction. Few weeks ago i was in Wolgograd, but the statue is Füll hidden, behind a carpet of steel.

1 Like

Hopefully it’ll be reconstructed well enough, such that it’ll stand tall again with less/no risk of falling.

Yes, I agree with ‘podaalho’. Hoping that the refurbishment of ‘The Motherland Calls’ goes according to plan because, it is slightly overdue. The statue was supposed to have had a program of works begun in early 2018, due for completion midway through 2019. Nevermind. We are fortunate that our friend ‘sverige17’ has confirmed that refurbishment work has begun. For which, I am sure, we are all entirely grateful. Such an impressive Leviathan of monumental importance to the whole world and, of Special import to Europe - is heartening to see being refurbished and not demolished, as many short sighted people began to thirty years ago, when The Berlin Wall war torn down.

1 Like