The Original McDonald's French Fry

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of The Original McDonald’s French Fry. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

At 71, I’m old enough to remember the TRULY original McDonald’s French fries, circa early 1960s. They were made onsite from whole potatoes with a specially-designed potato slicer, similar to a huge manually-operated apple corer. They were fresh and hot and in those days almost nobody knew beef fat from Shinola. By the way, the fries, burgers, and shakes were all priced at 15 cents each.

1 Like

Sounds delicious.

A great way to experience beef-fat fried fries is to visit Brussels ! Most fries are dipped in beef fat, considered to be the traditional cooking method in Belgium (where potatoes are always fried twice, for maximum crispiness and a soft core).

1 Like

This past Sunday I went to a McD’s (San Francisco) out of dire hunger. I’d managed to avoid McD’s for at least a decade. Whatever method the corporation uses to manufacture its fries elsewhere, these tasted like they were made from the plastic slurry at Lego that failed to make the cut as blocks. BTW, the cheeseburger was as thin as three fries.

Hahah, yes I occasionally still have a transcendent McDonald’s fry that must have been fried at just the right temperature for just the right time and salted and delivered right away, but mostly they’re a soggy mess.