The Quiraing

ao-places
places
places-in-united-kingdom
places-in-scotland

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of The Quiraing in Highland, Scotland. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

The Quiraing on the Isle of Skye, along with The Old Man of Storr, The Fairy Pools, and the Fairy Glens, are completely overrun by tourists. While it’s cool that AO is fond of some of these places, I fear that being featured here will just put that much more pressure on these places…

I visited Skye last year, and while I agree with you about the number of people, I had to keep telling myself that every single one of those people have just as much right to be there as I do.

What an absolutely beautiful place. (I decided to bypass the hike to the Old Man because of the number of cars lining the road. Instead, I went to the far north of the island and found lovely solitude.)

Mothernight , brilliant comment , totally agree , It’s tricky to balance the pressure that can descend on a place (ecologically, culturally , economically) from massive influx of visitors but ultimately visitors have as much right to be there as any of us.

I agree that everyone has just as much right to be there as you or I did, It’s just hard to see some places get so overrun with people. When we were that last year in late September, after the “peak” season, we drove by and didn’t stop at the Fairly Pools because the number of cars along the road was so incredibly long we didn’t want to deal with the throngs. We did go to the very north as well and enjoyed the solitude as well.

My comment was not that people don’t have the right to visit. It was just a lamentation on the effects of the pressures that you enumerated so well, and knowing that every bit of press these places get brings more pressure. I am guilty of this as anyone having visited places after seeing them profiled in magazines or on the web.

Johnv , no worries , I actually agree with you also about the frustrations , I was just agreeing with mothernight that it is a hard thing to try to navigate because of the complexity. In tourism there is nearly always a trade-off whether it be ecological impacts or erosion of culture or economic pressures.

On this subject , one thing I would like to see more of is coverage of is neglected places which need more visitors or funding like some of the smaller museums and sites which risk closure or languish in obscurity due to needing more visitors , thats ultimately why I love AO

For example this place in the highlands which is doing excellent conservation work