The Secret Mermaid

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of The Secret Mermaid in Chicago, Illinois. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

My name is Alfred (Fred)Arroyo, the oldest member of the group that carved The Secret Mermaid. I am offering information in order to start visitation of The Secret Mermaid regularly. I know very little about sculpting but with help from my three companions I managed to help create The (not so secret) Secret Mermaid ! I have drawn up some pamphlets with information and pictures and other stuff concerning The Secret Mermaid and as soon as the weather breaks, I will be on the beach near the mermaid to answer questions and to pass out some literature concerning the Mermaid.
I am now 95 years of age so I would like to see The Mermaid complete before…I’m gone. Thank you for this opportunity to reveal myself concerning The Secret Mermaid !
Alfred (Fred) Arroyo

3 Likes

Hello, I’m curious to find out how this turned out for you thus far. As I wished I had seen this forum sooner. I have many questions and would like to contribute it’s completion if need be, presently.

Hi Alfred mu name es José Gerardo Moreno I am the son of Jose

Hi Crystal,
Nothing has changed much due to bad weather ! It seems that the city of Chicago has ignored the presence of the mermaid since it needs cleaning of its surroundings and a
little more attention. If you want more information you can locate me at fredarroyo1 @netzero.net

Write me at fredarroyo1@ netzero.com…your father was one of four of us guys that carved
the mermaid on the shore of Lake Michigan many years ago.