The World's Greatest Lighthouses

4 Likes

St. Augustine Lighthouse in Florida

St Catherine’s Lighthouse on the Isle Of Wight in England

Bird Rock Light Lighthouse on Crooked Island, Bahamas

The old lighthouse in Chania, Crete

Faro della Vittoria in Trieste, Italy (the most powerful light beam in the world)

Faro de la Marina, in Punta Coles, Peru

Palmer Island Light Station in New Bedford, Mass

Tower of Hercules (Farum Brigantium) in Galicia, Spain (oldest Roman lighthouse, 2nd c. CE)

Lindesnes Fyr Lighthouse in Norway

Lighthouse of Genoa (Lanterna), Italy (built in 1128!)

Korkyra Lighthouse in Croatia

Þrídrangaviti lighthouse in the Westman Islands, Iceland

Capo Spartivento Lighthouse in Sardinia

And you can rent it too!

8 Likes

Not one of the world’s greatest, perhaps, but the oldest lighthouse on the west coast of the United States:

Point Pinos Lighthouse, Pacific Grove, California

6 Likes

Here’s an old abandoned one that I think is beautiful. It’s on Lake Superior, just off of Munising, Michigan.

11 Likes

sunrise-at-thomas-point

Used to live a couple of blocks from here; maybe not the world’s greatest, but awesome place to sit & clear your head.

When my son was in his angst years, he used to disappear regularly. I always knew where to find him, though.

7 Likes

The St. Augustine Lighthouse, on Anastasia Island in Florida. I lived and worked under the beam of this beacon for almost ten years. It gave a genuine sense of calm at night to see it glowing over the neighborhood, despite it’s reputation for being haunted by a little girl. I’ll never forget the ruckus one morning when a wacko climbed to the roof in a tiger costume to promote his anti-pedophilia children’s book. I can’t make this stuff up. Man arrested after climbing St. Augustine lighthouse in tiger costume | wtsp.com

10 Likes

Oh wow, this is incredible. Didn’t even know it was in the Atlas!

Thanks for not disappointing, Florida.

3 Likes

The Wind Point Lighthouse, near my hometown of Racine, WI, was built in 1880 and is still operating on Lake Michigan. On July 6th, I get to climb to the top for the first time in my life! (That’s what happens when you move away and become a tourist in your hometown.)

4 Likes

I spent many hours playing on the rocks in Peggy’s Cove as a child. Now there are many tourists there during cruise ship season. A few inattentive ones still get washed off the rocks by rogue waves most years.

This thread is totally amazing! I am currently working on my PhD in history and my dissertation topic is the Canadian lighthouse system; there is a lot to focus on just in Canada so seeing these pictures from around the world is blowing my mind! Here are my two favourites:

Abandoned lighthouse on Klein Curaçao in the Dutch Caribbean. The small island used to be a place where slaves would be held in quarantine before being brought to other islands. It is now uninhabited, and there are multiple shipwrecks littering its shores (no doubt because of the lack of functioning lighthouse!).

Head Harbour Lightstation in on Campobello Island in New Brunswick, Canada. You can only reach this small Canadian island by driving through Maine. The lighthouse is on a spit of land that becomes an island at high tide, so there are restrictions on when you can and can’t cross over to it (people have been swept out to sea in the intensity of the tides of the Bay of Fundy - the highest in the world). It’s one of the oldest lighthouses in Canada and I think more beautiful than Peggy’s Cove (sorry tourists!).

6 Likes

I am very partial to the Heceta Head Lighthouse near Florence, Oregon. They have a terrific B&B that is part of the property. You stay in the Keeper’s Cottage. They serve a fine multi-course Breakfast that is well-loved and impressive…yeah, but THAT LIGHTHOUSE!

8 Likes

Finistere, at the end of the Camino de Santiago (and the westernmost point on mainland Europe), in Galicia, Spain. Great sunsets!

5 Likes

This is Abrolhos lighthouse, in Bahia State, Northeastern Brazil, some 36 miles offshore and signaling the largest coral reef bank in the South Atlantic. It was built in the late 19th century as many along the Brazilian coast and boasts a beautiful Fresnel lens.

4 Likes

For anyone who is a fan of lighthouses, a visit to the Point Arena Lighthouse in California is a bucket list item. It sticks out about two miles into the Pacific about 150 miles north of San Francisco and has several houses for rent. It’s great for whale watching and for general chilling out and getting away from everything. We’ve been there three times and can’t wait to go back. https://www.pointarenalighthouse.com/

5 Likes

Adzhigolsky lighthouse of 64 meters built in 1911 according to the design of an outstanding engineer, academician Vladimir Shukhov. This is the highest single-section hyperboloid tower built by architect. The highest lighthouse in Ukraine, ranked 18th in the list of the highest “traditional” lighthouses in the world. Service and residential buildings are located under the lighthouse.

The Stanislav-Adzhigolsky lighthouse, another construction of Shukhov, is installed nearby.

Kherson region, Ukraine

6 Likes

Tamara Island lighthouse, near Conakry, Guinea, West Africa

6 Likes

Cape Canaveral, Florida. Erected in 1868. Once very isolated, it is now located among the missile launch pads at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. The lighthouse is now owned and maintained by the U.S. Air Force. The light itself is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard.

5 Likes

The highest place in the world where you can find a lighthouse is on the top of the Oberalp Pass in Graubunden, Switzerland !
Don’t have a picture but just google and you 'll see it :blush:

2 Likes

Eric: since I know now that you like paper models, I had to contribute this one. It’s of the French lighthouse Ar-Men, in one of the most inhospitable locations on the planet (for anything but a lighthouse!).

The paper model is from the 1930s from Nantes, France.

6 Likes