The World's Greatest Lighthouses

I spent many hours playing on the rocks in Peggy’s Cove as a child. Now there are many tourists there during cruise ship season. A few inattentive ones still get washed off the rocks by rogue waves most years.

This thread is totally amazing! I am currently working on my PhD in history and my dissertation topic is the Canadian lighthouse system; there is a lot to focus on just in Canada so seeing these pictures from around the world is blowing my mind! Here are my two favourites:

Abandoned lighthouse on Klein Curaçao in the Dutch Caribbean. The small island used to be a place where slaves would be held in quarantine before being brought to other islands. It is now uninhabited, and there are multiple shipwrecks littering its shores (no doubt because of the lack of functioning lighthouse!).

Head Harbour Lightstation in on Campobello Island in New Brunswick, Canada. You can only reach this small Canadian island by driving through Maine. The lighthouse is on a spit of land that becomes an island at high tide, so there are restrictions on when you can and can’t cross over to it (people have been swept out to sea in the intensity of the tides of the Bay of Fundy - the highest in the world). It’s one of the oldest lighthouses in Canada and I think more beautiful than Peggy’s Cove (sorry tourists!).

6 Likes

I am very partial to the Heceta Head Lighthouse near Florence, Oregon. They have a terrific B&B that is part of the property. You stay in the Keeper’s Cottage. They serve a fine multi-course Breakfast that is well-loved and impressive…yeah, but THAT LIGHTHOUSE!

8 Likes

Finistere, at the end of the Camino de Santiago (and the westernmost point on mainland Europe), in Galicia, Spain. Great sunsets!

5 Likes

This is Abrolhos lighthouse, in Bahia State, Northeastern Brazil, some 36 miles offshore and signaling the largest coral reef bank in the South Atlantic. It was built in the late 19th century as many along the Brazilian coast and boasts a beautiful Fresnel lens.

4 Likes

For anyone who is a fan of lighthouses, a visit to the Point Arena Lighthouse in California is a bucket list item. It sticks out about two miles into the Pacific about 150 miles north of San Francisco and has several houses for rent. It’s great for whale watching and for general chilling out and getting away from everything. We’ve been there three times and can’t wait to go back. https://www.pointarenalighthouse.com/

5 Likes

Adzhigolsky lighthouse of 64 meters built in 1911 according to the design of an outstanding engineer, academician Vladimir Shukhov. This is the highest single-section hyperboloid tower built by architect. The highest lighthouse in Ukraine, ranked 18th in the list of the highest “traditional” lighthouses in the world. Service and residential buildings are located under the lighthouse.

The Stanislav-Adzhigolsky lighthouse, another construction of Shukhov, is installed nearby.

Kherson region, Ukraine

6 Likes

Tamara Island lighthouse, near Conakry, Guinea, West Africa

6 Likes

Cape Canaveral, Florida. Erected in 1868. Once very isolated, it is now located among the missile launch pads at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. The lighthouse is now owned and maintained by the U.S. Air Force. The light itself is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard.

5 Likes

The highest place in the world where you can find a lighthouse is on the top of the Oberalp Pass in Graubunden, Switzerland !
Don’t have a picture but just google and you 'll see it :blush:

2 Likes

Eric: since I know now that you like paper models, I had to contribute this one. It’s of the French lighthouse Ar-Men, in one of the most inhospitable locations on the planet (for anything but a lighthouse!).

The paper model is from the 1930s from Nantes, France.

6 Likes

Reyjanes Light on the southwestern point of Iceland, arguably the easternmost lighthouse in North America, as it is steps to the north and west of the rift between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates!! IMG_2333|375x500

4 Likes

I grew up around Peggy’s Cove, too. When I think of lighthouses, that’s the one I picture. But these others are pretty fantastic, too

3 Likes

The Faro Voltiano in Brunate, a mountain village over Como, dominates Lake Como with a magnificent panorama opening below it. It is dedicated to Como’s most illustrious citizen, Alessandro Volta, inventor of the electric battery. You can climb the staircase inside it and get to the top and get an astounding view on Lake Como, Switzerland and a portion of the Alps. From there you can also follow the road and do wonderful hikes in the “Triangolo Lariano”, as well as go back to visit the village of Brunate, with its fancy liberty villas and the 125-year-old funicular railway linking it to the city of Como.

4 Likes

[photo 7]

Currituck Light (NC) is interesting being all brick. I always like that.

5 Likes

My favorite lighthouse has got to be the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. Not only is it the tallest brick lighthouse, it was also moved 200 feet 20 years ago!

6 Likes

Oh this is awesome! thank you for sharing, Tom!

1 Like

My favorite is the Seguin Island Light Station. Built in 1796, it is 3 miles off the mouth of the Kennebec River and Popham Beach in Maine. It still has the original Fresnel lens, a fog horn, and volunteer lighthouse keepers each summer. A ferry service is available to visit in the summer months. Amazing views of the islands dotting the mid coast, and on a clear day you can see Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. image

5 Likes

Not to mention the fact that it appears to be on land with no water! <:

2 Likes

A fabulous place, as you say such a peaceful vibe. A lottery win would see me relocate!

2 Likes