The World's Greatest Lighthouses

Chantry Island Lighthouse on Lake Huron! Wildly shocking: when one goes to visit, one arrive by charter boat, walk onto the island via a pier fiercely guarded by a mama seagull with a nest under the boardwalk, and then visits a beautiful English gardens and beautifully preserved historic family home, including ghost story in basement. But! Travel up the stairs to the top of the lighthouse, turn slowly around and look at the back half of the small island And Shock! Desolation! Black, dead tress, so many! Commodore birds. In all tree branches. Creepy AF.

4 Likes

I worked for a guy in Elkhart,IN that did sandblasting,That lighthouse from St. Augustine,Florida,I sandblasted an exact replica (down sized) of it for a guy.He brought us pics of it when he got it done.It was awesome!

4 Likes

Not the tallest, but an unusual Art Deco style lighthouse in the former Spanish enclave of Sidi Ifni, Southern Morocco.

4 Likes

Check out the Rathlin West Lighthouse, on the north coast of Ireland. Not only is it red rather than white but it is built upside down! The light is at the bottom of the tower. There are some lovely photos on line but I don’t want to include them in case I infringe copyright.

2 Likes

BostonLight in Boston outer harbor the nation’s oldest.

2 Likes

I grew up off Minor’s Ledge upon which the lighthouse stands. It is not the original lighthouse, it’s the second one. The current lighthouse is haunted and blinks a lovely message 1-4-3, based on romantic lore. The base of the lighthouse could only be built during a super low lunar tide, the only time the ledge is actually exposed.

6 Likes

Here’s Cape Byron lighthouse in Byron Bay, Australia!

2 Likes

Beachy Head Lighthouse (opened in 1902), in the English Channel

5 Likes

I love that the Air Force owns a lighthouse.

2 Likes

Great shot!

1 Like

With more than 120 lighthouses, Michigan has more of them than any of the other 37 states that have lighthouses. While only two dozen or so of these lighthouses are open for visits, there are many more still in service, providing warnings for the more than 10,000 miles of coastline. 351 Best Lighthouses of Michigan images in 2019 | Lighthouses, Light house, Lake Michigan

2 Likes

Yeah along with having the Lighthouse Rockland has several Windjammer companies, and is still an active lobstering community. Still has a working waterfront.

1 Like

Corbiere Lighthouse in Jersey, Channel Islands is my favourite

5 Likes

Point Sur Lighthouse, Big Sur, California, USA!
1_point_sur_01|328x500 1_pont_sur_1491581579468

1 Like

Sanibel Island, Florida, USA

2 Likes

Pigeon Point Light Station, Pescadero, CA, USA

1 Like

Drum Point Lighthouse, Solomons Island, Maryland, USA
solomons-island--drum-point-lighthouse-reflecting-ronald-reid

Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA

2 Likes

Anacapa Lighthouse in Channel Islands National Park. Just the slightest dash of Deco.

1 Like

These are amazing! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like