The World's Greatest Lighthouses

Beachy Head Lighthouse (opened in 1902), in the English Channel

5 Likes

I love that the Air Force owns a lighthouse.

2 Likes

Great shot!

1 Like

With more than 120 lighthouses, Michigan has more of them than any of the other 37 states that have lighthouses. While only two dozen or so of these lighthouses are open for visits, there are many more still in service, providing warnings for the more than 10,000 miles of coastline. 351 Best Lighthouses of Michigan images in 2019 | Lighthouses, Light house, Lake Michigan

2 Likes

Yeah along with having the Lighthouse Rockland has several Windjammer companies, and is still an active lobstering community. Still has a working waterfront.

1 Like

Corbiere Lighthouse in Jersey, Channel Islands is my favourite

5 Likes

Point Sur Lighthouse, Big Sur, California, USA!
1_point_sur_01|328x500 1_pont_sur_1491581579468

1 Like

Sanibel Island, Florida, USA

2 Likes

Pigeon Point Light Station, Pescadero, CA, USA

1 Like

Drum Point Lighthouse, Solomons Island, Maryland, USA
solomons-island--drum-point-lighthouse-reflecting-ronald-reid

Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA

2 Likes

Anacapa Lighthouse in Channel Islands National Park. Just the slightest dash of Deco.

1 Like

These are amazing! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Pottawatomie Lighthouse on Rock Island, Wisconsin is my favorite. It stands on the site of the oldest lighthouse in Wisconsin (1836) and was rebuilt in 1858. It can be toured from Memorial Day to Columbus Day.

1 Like

I think it’s the only lighthouse with a keeper, too.

At least it was 20 years ago…

1 Like

Back in the 60’s & 70’s, historian Edward Rowe Snow would dress as Santa & take a helicopter out to Boston Light, to deliver presents to the keeper of the last “manned” lighthouse in the USA.

At least that’s what he told me.

He was the sort of guy who told a lot of tall tales. (Best map of Boston Harbor Islands was his)

2 Likes

Point Iroquois in Brimley, Michigan on Lake Superior, outside of Sault Ste. Marie, the first white settlement in what became known as Michigan.

Built in 1870, it helped to guide the ships through Whitefish Bay, along the “Shipwreck Coast,” and safely toward the Soo Locks.

It was named for the peaceful Iroquois warriors who were massacred by the more violent Ojibwe in 1662.

1 Like

I love that place. In the house beside it, there are recordings of several horn sounds from the past.

2 Likes

I love all of the light houses in Scotland. I love them for their beauty, but also for the story behind them. Almost all of them were built by generations of the same family - the Stevensons (as in Robert Louis Stevenson who helped build one lighthouse and uses many details from growing up around lighthouses in his novels). The Stevenson family influenced lighthouse building all over the world. Here is one of their most difficult builds: Bell Rock Lighthouse - Wikipedia. Bell Rock was washed away part way through construction. It’s the oldest operating rock lighthouse in the world. There’s a pic below I got from this website: Winter sunrise at the Bell Rock lighthouse (12 miles off o… | Flickr

4 Likes

I have been flying over the Chesapeake Bay for more than 30 years. This lighthouse is a significant marker for pilots of small airplanes. I also remember when there were Coast Guard personnel stationed in the light house, and you could call them on the radio.