Theplacesihavebeen.com

Do you guys know about this site? It is lifting both text and images from the site.

Any reply from AO on this? That other website looks hacky, and I’d be surprised if AO gave permission for its words & images to appear on it…

Nothing yet, I also sent an email. The text is very slightly changed. Things like a name becomes she, etc. I think that they used a text spinner.

Hey all we are currently looking into the issues and should provide an update soon.

3 Likes

I’m assuming that it’s not sanctioned then? I’ll be interested to see what happens.

Honestly, outside my realm of expertise, but I have relayed it to the proper departments and we should have some updates soon.

2 Likes

I got a reply from Tyler who said that he emailed the guy and let Google know that it’s a copy site.

Hey, so there seems to be a similar case with a Mexican site that lifted some pictures I took and have only been published on the AO article for the same sculpture with incorrect crediting to me and no link to AO:

What would be the preferred contact to communicate with AO to look over this situation?

Well, after I got in touch with mxcity.mx and pointed out their use of pictures and text copied and translated directly from the AO entry, they’ve now deleted the page.

2 Likes

I emailed my findings to the AO contact page, that worked. They don’t seem to be too active on the forums any more for this kind of stuff. I assume that its corona related priorities, so can’t really blame them.

Also, the guy seems to have dropped most of the content, but he still uses the tag line and tags.
e.g. Museum of Medieval Stockholm :: the places I have been

Interesting to see the site (1) Still exists, (2) Now links to Atlas Obscura on all posts from AO, and (3) Has Atlas Obscura in the footer of the entire site as a source.

Agree the site seems hacky and lifting images in bulk is obnoxious at best (more likely illegal). I’ve run a few large websites before and there are ways to submit these as scraper sites to Google, but more often than not it’s more productive to just build the best darn site you can and hope the Internet Gods reward you for it.

I know some other companies that have a lawyer on retainer and systematically sue copyright violators. Rather than go to court most will “settle” … digital copyright law is way too far behind the Internet times.

1 Like

They stopped scraping images and now only use the descriptive sentence of each place and the GPS coordinates. I talked to the guy once, and he seemed to genuinely not get that this is wrong and AO got him to take down the text and images. So I don’t think that they have to sue.

Found another one: https://curio.epicurea.org/

At least it is translated :stuck_out_tongue: Did they do it automatically or is it handdone?

Looks like machine translation, but not too bad (closer to Deepl than Google Translate).

I wonder how copytight law works in that instance. If you had translate is it still theirs? I know that wiki does not allow that, but idk if that is a legal thing.

Looks like their machine translation doesn’t pick up everything ;D

1 Like

And another one…

Found even more pages in mxcity.mx with text lifted straight from AO and translated, and some uncredited pictures too:

@jonathancarey, I could contact them directly as last time or is this something AO would like to look into?