Think international travel will happen this year?

Hey there - I hope you all are well and healthy! I have a trip planned for later this year, late September into early Octpber. I’m planning to travel to England & France, from the US. What are we thinking? Should I start thinking of canceling this trip? Or still too early to panic? I’m not normally indecisive, but hoping for a consensus opinion to help make my decision. I really, really want to take this trip. Thanks for your help!
Lynne

2 Likes

I would advise that you stay put until at least the fall of this year. My sister had booked a tour of the medieval Christian sites in Greece early in this year. Naturally, her tour was canceled when the virus began to spread. She’d invited me to come along but the only sites that piqued my interest were the way older ones from Classical Greece and Homer’s Odyssey that were not on the itinerary. The place I was really interested in visiting in the area was Troy, in Turkey but that would have been a separate trip altogether as I wanted to visit Gobekli Tepe and Catal Hoyuk even more if I ever made a trip to Turkey. I was mulling over the options when news came that Turkey had been struck with massive earthquakes and there was a sudden surge of corona cases. On top of that Turkey’s engagement with Syria had cause the conflict to backflow into Turkey creating political instability. Finally official word came: nobody in, nobody out. So had I managed to get to Turkey, I’d be writing this from the Anatolian Plateau, if in fact, internet service were available. I’d also been toying with the idea of visiting the Highlands of Scotland around the same time since my nephew was planning on taking a job lasting several months somewhere in Great Britain. We’d both be stuck there now had they allowed us to deplane there. Numerous destinations abroad are in the same state, natural disasters piled on top of the virus lock down and social disruption. So, not to be a nervous nelly, I’d say staying put at your source of resources and support is the better option until more favorable conditions prevail.

4 Likes

Thank you! Your potential plans sound rad. Someday, yeah? Get to the Highlands when you can, you’ll never regret it.
Thanks again -
Lynne

1 Like

I would delay any major travel for at least 14 months. The outcome of COVID 19 is not clear. It is unknown if or how much immunity occurs after the acute episode of COVID 19. It is also suspected that it can recur. There are several unverified recurrences in China. Testing is mandatory and there is still not an available source for rapid testing results. Safest bet is to travel via the internet. NATGEO is my favorite. A vaccine may be available in 14-18 mos. Wait until you can get a vaccination agains COVID19

8 Likes

Too early to cancel, too early to give up hope. Dream on, September is still a million miles away.

6 Likes

International travel is going to be difficult this year there is just no getting around that. My advice (as someone who is also set to travel to one of those countries in that same month albeit not for touristic reasons) is wait till the begining of August to really get an idea of whether there has been an easing of travel restrictions and to get the vibes of what to do.

Lockdowns will almost certainly be over in France and England (though they will probably arise intermittently in specific areas throughout this year) by the time of your trip but there will nevertheless be restrictions on movement of one form or another.

Another thing to consider is whether the attractions like galleries , museums , historic sites be open to the public ? We don’t really know the answer to that because so much about this virus and the world it will leave in its wake is terra incognita but I imagine due to economic necessity that they will be but again with (perhaps permanent) restrictions and limits in place that may detract from you enjoying it.

Either way you look at it , this is not an ordinary period to travel or see and
conventionally appreciate these countries and do the whole classic touristy thing (and you shouldn’t have any expectation of it being so or you are liable to be very disappointed) though if you do choose to go ahead with your trip you will be seeing them at the rawest , stressed , resilient and vulnerable they have been since the end of the second world war and that is something historic to see and witness in itself.

6 Likes

My two cents: We had a trip to Greece planned with AO. Would have left yesterday. AO cancelled the trip and promptly returned 100% of our costs. Our travel insurer did so as well. However…JustFly through whom we booked our tickets and Lufthansa and United are refusing, so far, to refund our flight costs. Be aware that there is a U.S. law that says we are entitled to our money back if tours, flights are cancelled. What JustFly is saying is that the flight has not been cancelled but, rather, postponed to another date. They will only give us credit and we have to use the credit within 12 months AND the flight has to be to the same location as originally planned!!! Whatever you do, make sure you’ll be refunded your costs in full or be prepared to fight for it.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Thank you! Unconventional would be most welcome. And Not terribly fond of crowds. If I am permitted to go, this could end up being the trip of a lifetime. Thanks again!

1 Like

THANK YOU! My trip is not a tour, just a self-booked jaunt. I can get refunded for everything right now, save the flight. (Ticket price was so rock-bottom cheap, because it ws non-refundable.) I’m willing to take a voucher, but was not expecting the limitations you just mentioned. I will fight. Thanks for the tips! And than you to all of you for your incredibly insightful and informative replies. I’m creating clouds of anxiety about this, even though it is many months away. I appreciate you all taking the time to reply! Lynne

1 Like

I believe that international travel is unlikely for 2020. Given that a vaccine for COVID-19 will take approximately 18 months at best to be developed, international travel prior to mid-2021 will be questionable at best. I’ve decided to do some travel within the US this year once travel restrictions are relaxed, and look to the future for international travel.

2 Likes

We are in a similar dithering situation, as my husband hopes to walk the Inca trail in September. (We did have a 2+ month trip planned for May-July to Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei. Needless to say, that’s gone!) We are waiting to see what the airlines and governments will do, as the trek outfitter, lodging and restaurant owners, and guides will be more than happy to see ANYONE.

4 Likes

I just heard on CNN that the CDC Medical Director said there will “DEFINITELY” be a 2nd wave in Fall and even sooner if we open too soon. I had planned to travel for a month to Japan & China again but not now. This ain’t over… till the virus says so.

2 Likes

Thank you! I figured as much. I am disappointed, as we all are, to lose my travel plans. But better safe than sorry. It would be miserable to get sick/stranded so far from home.

2 Likes

Six of one… I would wait until August, most flights are touted as cancel w/out penalty and August is still 30+ days before your intended travel to cancel hotels etc. However that being said, are you traveling for pleasure or something specific (wedding or an event that only happens at that time?). And how is your health, any of the variables that make you vulnerable?
I for one travel outside USA as much as I can and have grounded myself for the near future. I believe I will book a trip at the last minute, and I only travel in spring or fall, not in the summer crowds. Good Luck what ever you decide. Stay healthy

2 Likes

Out of curiosity , when you say you are grounded for the near future what kind of timeline are you thinking ?

You will get no consenus here! We all think differently.
At this point you have nothing to lose by going ahead as planned. Or, somewhat, as planned.
Nothing is ever really guaranteed.
You could postpone and that airline could go out of business before you decide it’s safe to use your voucher.
You could get to your destination and find your best laid plans are disrupted there.
Then you find alternatives. Are you confident that you are resourseful? Do you feel you are strong and healthy and upbeat when things dont go as planned? Do you like a challenge?
Do you travel with a blanket, extra cash and travel size shampoo in case you get stuck at airport?
Expect the unexpected. I say go ahead. If it’s all cancelled by the powers that be before you leave at least you’ve had the fun of planning something. If you get to go look at it as an adventure waiting to happen. And yes, people in the tourist industry will be very happy to see you.

3 Likes

Thank you! Nope, totally for pleasure - best reason I know! And health iis good, at least now it is. Agreed, I only travel on the saddle, never in high season. I don’t crowds very much at all. Thanks again, and same - stay healthy!

1 Like

Yeah I’m good, know to roll with the punches. Much of the time, the unexpected becomes the glorious. Thank you! I will wait. Like I mentioned in a reply to another poster, I think I can get most of my money back with some notice. Just feeling a littkle anxious I guess. Thanks again

Well said !

1 Like