Thorncrown Chapel

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Thorncrown Chapel in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

My husband and I were married here in March 2000, right at sunset. Absolutely gorgeous! So peaceful and tranquil. We continue to make trips to Eureka Springs and always stop by Thorncrown to pay our respects and drop in a donation.
There is a similar chapel at Powell Gardens 30 miles east of Kansas City in Kingsville, MO. Also designed by E. Fay Jones and first opened in 1996.

1 Like

I have visited this chapel on a group tour and found it quite unique and unforgettable.

Reminds me of Holy Family Shrine near Gretna, NE. The shrine has a stream running from the altar out the front of the church. There are some nice trails to hike around the church as well.

1 Like

E. Fay Jones also designed the Pinecote Pavilion at the Crosby Arboretum in Picayune, MS. Although it is not a chapel, it is, nevertheless, a stunning space obviously influenced by Jones’ design at the Thorncrown Chapel.
http://crosbyarboretum.msstate.edu/about-pinecote-pavilion

It’s truly spectacular architectural wonder & Eureka Springs is great little community in Northwest Arkansas
Definitely attend a Sunday service beautiful music in a beautiful setting!

It is also very similar to the Wayfarers Chapel designed by the son of Frank Lloyd Wright located on Paulo’s Verdes Estates in California. It is maintained and is part of the Swedenborgian Church.

Thank you for sharing this! That place looks perfect.

Beautiful! Think I like it better than Lloyd Wright’s Wayfarers Chapel in Palos Verdes, CA.

Frank%20Lloyd%20Wright’s%20son%20Lloyd%20Wright’s%20Wayfarers%20Chapel%20in%20Palos%20Verdes|333x500

1 Like