Time to Show Us the Greatest Monumental Clocks!

Oh, I love this one!

The Bromo Seltzer Tower in Baltimore. It has a bigger clock face than Big Ben!

5 Likes

Williamsburg Savings Bank , Brooklyn, NY

4 Likes

I love this astronomical clock (the three kings clock) at the cathedral in Strasbourg, France. The movement is incredible and always draws crowds at noon to watch the disciples receiving a blessing from Jesus among other things. It also calculates leap years, equinoxes, and even Easter under the complicated Gregorian rule.

5 Likes

It’s not huge or part of a building but John Harrison’s H1 solved the longitude problem in the early 1700s and allowed explorers to safely travel west.

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/79139.html

2 Likes

The beautiful Union Station in Kansas City, MO has an iconic clock at the entrance to “Grand Hall”, which used to be the waiting room. Thousands of soldiers passed through here during WWII, especially, and it became common to say goodbyes and hellos under the clock. Even now people often use it as a meeting spot. https://images.app.goo.gl/db27r86PVdobx8xX9

2 Likes

Graz, Austria
One of the most notable landmarks in Graz and a must for any visitor, the Graz Clock Tower may be best known for its confusing clock faces, featuring long hands for the hours and short hands for the minutes. Dating back to medieval times, the tower stands 28 meters high and has a clock face on each side, each about five meters in diameter. The 18th century clockworks still operate, but are now electronic. In addition to the famous clock, the tower is also home to three bells, the oldest of which dates back to 1385 and still rings on the hour. Another bell from around 1450 was used during executions and later to remind people of the city curfew.

Read more about The Best Graz Clock Tower (Uhrturm) Tours & Tickets 2019 | Viator - The Best Graz Clock Tower (Uhrturm) Tours & Tickets 2019 | Viator

2 Likes

This is a pretty spectacular clock!
250px-Graz_clock_tower

2 Likes

Yes, it is! The first time I saw it, I was totally confused!

1 Like

Those are some cool photos of the inner workings. There’s actually more there than I imagined it would be :man_shrugging: lol

There is quite a bit in the whole tower. The clock room is at the top. For $5, you take an old elevator up to one of the floors below the clock room for a presentation about the history before going up to the clock room. Then you walk back down the tower and their are artist studios to tour on each floor.

1 Like

Corpus Clock outside the Taylor Library, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge University, UK
Saw it recently while not ‘monumental’ it was quite compelling

4 Likes

I’m surprised that the clock tower in Piazza San Marco, Venice, hasn’t been mentioned yet. It shows the time, date, moon phases and zodiac signs. It chimes by mechanical figures striking the bell. It has been working since 1499. (Thanks to [http://www.avrvm.eu] for the picture, as mine was on film not digital.)

4 Likes

Also, on 6th January two tiny doors open where the roman figures are and three puppets representing the Three Wise Men cross the little balcony from side to side.

4 Likes

The most fascinating clock I’ve ever seen is the Rathhaus-Glockenspiel in Munich. The show takes about 15 minutes every day at noon, while 32 life-sized figures parade before you. 220px-Marienplatz_glockenspiel

You can learn more about it at –

3 Likes

I remember the Allen Bradley four-sided clock on the south side of Milwaukee, Wisconsin from my youth. It has been rebuilt even bigger. I understand.
It used to be the world’s largest but is now second. I could see it from my elementary school windows. This is actually a second clock. The original tower now houses a digital temperature display.

3 Likes

One of favorites.

By far, the Engle Clock at the NAWCC National Clock and Watch Museum in Columbia, Lancaster County, PA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmbAX9V-jQ![engle_clock|375x500]

(upload://8EJYIAyejlwjqqe73Aqd2uYevHN.jpeg)

1 Like

There are plenty more ornate ones here, but passing by the Eastern Columbia Building in downtown LA always makes me feel like I’m walking around in a Raymond Chandler novel.

2 Likes

How about this wonderful clock in Rouen, France!

3 Likes