Time to Show Us the Greatest Monumental Clocks!

This is a pretty spectacular clock!
250px-Graz_clock_tower

2 Likes

Yes, it is! The first time I saw it, I was totally confused!

1 Like

Those are some cool photos of the inner workings. There’s actually more there than I imagined it would be :man_shrugging: lol

There is quite a bit in the whole tower. The clock room is at the top. For $5, you take an old elevator up to one of the floors below the clock room for a presentation about the history before going up to the clock room. Then you walk back down the tower and their are artist studios to tour on each floor.

1 Like

Corpus Clock outside the Taylor Library, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge University, UK
Saw it recently while not ‘monumental’ it was quite compelling

4 Likes

I’m surprised that the clock tower in Piazza San Marco, Venice, hasn’t been mentioned yet. It shows the time, date, moon phases and zodiac signs. It chimes by mechanical figures striking the bell. It has been working since 1499. (Thanks to [http://www.avrvm.eu] for the picture, as mine was on film not digital.)

4 Likes

Also, on 6th January two tiny doors open where the roman figures are and three puppets representing the Three Wise Men cross the little balcony from side to side.

4 Likes

The most fascinating clock I’ve ever seen is the Rathhaus-Glockenspiel in Munich. The show takes about 15 minutes every day at noon, while 32 life-sized figures parade before you. 220px-Marienplatz_glockenspiel

You can learn more about it at –

3 Likes

I remember the Allen Bradley four-sided clock on the south side of Milwaukee, Wisconsin from my youth. It has been rebuilt even bigger. I understand.
It used to be the world’s largest but is now second. I could see it from my elementary school windows. This is actually a second clock. The original tower now houses a digital temperature display.

3 Likes

One of favorites.

By far, the Engle Clock at the NAWCC National Clock and Watch Museum in Columbia, Lancaster County, PA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmbAX9V-jQ![engle_clock|375x500]

(upload://8EJYIAyejlwjqqe73Aqd2uYevHN.jpeg)

1 Like

There are plenty more ornate ones here, but passing by the Eastern Columbia Building in downtown LA always makes me feel like I’m walking around in a Raymond Chandler novel.

2 Likes

How about this wonderful clock in Rouen, France!

3 Likes

not rebuilt… still the same as pictured

When I was in school in the 1950’s the clock was in the tower that the temperature display is in now and this clock tower was constructed, opening in 1962 I understand,

1 Like

London’s Big Ben is not a clock, it is the bell.

Yes. I love this one.

1 Like

The Zimmer clock in Lier Belgium was constructed in the 1930’s and installed in a tower that was originally a medieval keep. It features 12 dials that show the locations of the planets, phases of the moon. the zodiac and much more. And, you can sit in the square sipping a Belgian ale while watching it.

1 Like

Old Town Riga has three different clocks that impressed me in different ways.

There is a beautiful blue and gold astronomical clock on the facade of the House of the Blackheads, a merchant guild house which is itself one of the architectural gems of Riga. The original house was built in 1334, but razed by the Soviets after it was damaged in World War II. The house was rebuilt from 1996 to 1999.

Although Riga is known for its hundreds of Art Nouveau buildings, one of its features is the Laima Clock, an Art Deco piece that was built to advertise the Laima Confectionary Company in 1924. It is just down the street from Riga’s Freedom Monument, a signature monument that somehow escaped Soviet destruction during the post-WWII occupation.

And there is a large universal sundial on the plaza in front of the Riga train station. As long as you know what day it is, and the sun is shining, you can position yourself accordingly and the sundial will tell you the time. Around the rim of the sundial, you’ll also see the distance to other European cities.

1 Like

Tallest four face clock in the world

2 Likes