Top ten cool things to do in Montreal

Originally from Los Angeles my youngest daughter and family now live in St. John’s Newfoundland. I am retired (sort of) and am happily living a lifestyle of complete geographical freedom. So in any three month period I now stay a month or so in Los Angeles and surrounds, a month in St. John’s and all over the island, and a month in places I’ve never seen or the places I love the most. When I leave Newfoundland these days instead of flying directly to LA I stop at a Canadian city I’ve never been to, last time Toronto, this time it will be Montreal. I looking to find the cool things to do in Montreal, particulary the ones that Tripadvisor et al don’t list.

I’ve yet to visit Montreal, but take a look through Atlas Obscura’s fascinating places in the city and see if something catches your fancy:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/montreal-quebec

Thanks Eric that was just the kind of list I was looking for.

Glad to help!

I have lived in Montreal my whole life. If food is your thing, this is the place. Bagels, croissants, baguettes, whatever your pleasure, there are bakeries galore. Meunerie Urban is a favorite in the Monkland Village. If you want to try poutine, a Quebec speciality of french fries, cheese curds and gravy… go to Mtlblog.com and they will send you to the best Poutine joints in the city. Best eaten around 3am my kids tell me :slight_smile: Classic Montreal smoked meat at Schwartz’s on St Laurent Blvd. You may have to stand in line but it’s worth it. The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts is a world class museum and always has interesting exibits and in Old Montreal, there is a small Archaeology Museum called Pointe-au-Calliere which always had great exibits. In the basement level is an ongoing dig of the oldest settlement of Montreal dating back to the 1600’s. A walk around the old city is always charming with cobblestone streets and there are many good restaurants in the old port as well. There is also an amazing collection of wall murals in Montreal. Google the mural walk and if you have good weather it is a great crawl around the city to see what is there. Mt Royal is a mountain in the center of the city with a park that was designed by Olmsted, the man who designed Central Park in NYC. Quite spectacular and patroled by the RCMP on horseback. Great vies of the city. Hope this entices you to visit. Also a world class Jazz Festival at the end of June for 12 days. If you are a music fan, it’s a don’t miss.

well the funny thing is I’m going to St John’s Newfoundland this May so I might need your help

The funnier thing is that I have seen more of the island than most Newfoundlanders, but you obviously travel a lot and often run into the situation where the person visiting has seen more than the locals right? I now live there four months a year and in terms of travel timing the weather will determine how much you see of the island. The joke there is that they have 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad weather, which isn’t completely true but isn’t completely untrue either. If you want to see the full scope of that wild, magnificent island you have to go mid-June to mid-September. A huge addition to the trip is seeing icebergs which can be late May to early August. Our tour out of Twillingate got as close as you want to be (they roll unexpectedly) to a berg that was ten stories high a New York City block long. An experience not to be missed. I have so much information I could share, along with iMovies I created from travels there, and I’m not sure what you need or how to share those types of files.

I have lived in Montreal my whole life. If food is your thing, this is the place. Bagels, croissants, baguettes, whatever your pleasure, there are bakeries galore. Meunerie Urban is a favorite in the Monkland Village.

I’m trying to cut down on carbs so if you tell me where I can get a croissants that makes me feel like I’m in Paris I’ll handle the residual guilt in my own way.

If you want to try poutine, a Quebec speciality of french fries, cheese curds and gravy… go to - and they will send you to the best Poutine joints in the city. Best eaten around 3am my kids tell me :slight_smile:

Having recently had poutine while stumbling off of George Street in St. John’s at approximately 3:00a.m. I think I’m good on poutine for a while.

Classic Montreal smoked meat at Schwartz’s on St Laurent Blvd. You may have to stand in line but it’s worth it.

That’s tomorrow night for sure.

The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts is a world class museum and always has interesting exhibits

Did that and you’re right.

And in Old Montreal, there is a small Archaeology Museum called Pointe-au-Calliere which always had great exhibits. In the basement level is an ongoing dig of the oldest settlement of Montreal dating back to the 1600’s.

On it. What else in the old city?

A walk around the old city is always charming with cobblestone streets and there are many good restaurants in the old port as well.

I hear about that part of the city in every province I’ve been in so I’ll check it out for sure.

There is also an amazing collection of wall murals in Montreal. Google the mural walk and if you have good weather it is a great crawl around the city to see what is there.

Even at 8°?

Ummm…….maybe.

Mt Royal is a mountain in the center of the city with a park that was designed by Olmsted, the man who designed Central Park in NYC. Quite spectacular and patrolled by the RCMP on horseback. Great views of the city. Hope this entices you to visit.

Spring, summer or fall right?

Also a world class Jazz Festival at the end of June for 12 days. If you are a music fan, it’s a don’t miss.

I am and I’ll make a point of it.