Tracing a town with a square with a lovely scent, near Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

Hi folks,

Back in 1987, as a medical doctor I paid a visit to the New Mexico University. As part of the agenda they kindly had arranged for me to visit several towns, not so distant from Albuquerque, in order to have a look at various ambulatory clinics where medical students were being trained. I remember one of those towns, in which I saw a charming square, very spanish like, with sidewalks, arcs, columns and a variety of souvenir and artisan shops. There was something very unusual around that square: an aroma, a lovely scent that was everywhere. It came out of something looking like seeds/nuts placed in barrels full of them. They were bright green (although rather artificialy coloured) and oily. I bought some and my family was pleased to have that lovelly scent back at home for many months. Unfortunatelly I don’t remember the name of that town. I have unsusccessfuly tried to find out where was that by sending emails to local people in New Mexico. I wonder if that help you to locate that place for me. I have thought that may be it was Santa Fe, but there is no reference whatsoever to those seeds/nuts in their web pages.

Any help?

Pablo Liendo
Endocrinologist
Caracas, Venezuela

3 Likes

There are a lot of towns in New Mexico laid out in Spanish fashion, but see if Taos is perhaps the town that you visited. I’ve been thinking very hard of what could be the seeds/nuts you refer to, but nothing fits the description. We have a lot of pistachio trees, which produce green and oily nuts, but they’re not very strongly scented. Though the green husks are almost pine-scented. There are also pinon nuts, which are oily but not overly green (except if they were picked while unripe). Me, when I think of green things that smell good, I always think of roasting green chiles. That’s the scent that drives New Mexicans wild!

1 Like

Piñon nuts!

1 Like

I copied and pasted your question to a friend using Facebook Messenger. She’s lived in NM a number of years. Hoping she knows something.

1 Like

I have been after some some info about the place I am tracing for years with no answer. I posted my request among this community and amazinly there are three valuable replies in a matter of hours. You’re great.

I know the pistachio oil. The ones I’m refering were far more bigger. In fact they were so much bigger that they might be somethiong else other than nuts. They were about 1 x 3/4 x 3/4 inches, they were very oily and their color color was bright green (R: 19, G: 220, B: 19).

Finally, I think that pinon nuts or green chiles are not related at all.

Receive all my greatfulness. Pablo

1 Like

Did they have a citrus-y smell? I’ve seen lots of potpourris in Mexico that have dehydrated limes or some other citrus about that size.

image http://naturestherapy.indiemade.com/sites/naturestherapy.indiemade.com/files/imagecache/im_clientsite_product_zoom/image_21.jpg

Like this, but only the bright green limes.

1 Like

Pablo—I’ve lived in New Mexico, first in Albuquerque and then in Santa Fe, for 49 years. I wonder if perhaps you are conflating a few memories of your time in our enchanting state. The only bright green seeds we produce here are pepitas, and I doubt they would be stored in large barrels around a Plaza (nor are they that aromatic unless being toasted) and green chile. Roasting green chile and burning pinon logs are two of the fragrances most associated with New Mexico— perhaps the barrels you remember are chile roasters and the bright green was the chile? Charlene

1 Like

Those things were not edible at all. I have even come to consider that they might not been seeds or nuts, but lumps of some kind of resin.

The scent was not citrus and it was very, very, strong, to the extend that the whole place around the square was filled with that lovely smell.

That experience was something awsome, unique, otherwise I would’t be bothering you with this topic. Unfortunately, after your valuable posts it seems that what I’m refering to is not something typical of New Mexico in general, not even of a certain nearby town in particular.

I’ll keep trying anyway.

Best regards. Pablo

Could it possibly have been black walnuts? When they are still covered by their fruit, they look like tennis balls. I don’t know if there are even black walnut trees in New Mexico. They do have a scent, but it’s more pronounced when the squirrels start eating them

1 Like