Travel based on AO locations

Hi! I am sure this question has been asked at some point but, I wasn’t able to find it. I was curious how many of you travel with AO destinations on your itinerary? We are currently on a road trip and I try to watch for AO spots all the time. We miss some because we have other plans but, I try to get what I can.

2 Likes

Assuming you know what general direction you’re headed, just pull up the AO Atlas (map view) to get an idea of which locations are in the direction your travels. Then when you find items that are of interest, bookmark them on Google maps so that as you’re driving or planning a route you can have a visual reminder (star/flag icons on the map) of places to visit. This works not just for AO but any hotel, restaurant, attraction. It’s pretty much how I’ve managed my world travels over the last 10 years! Just make sure you leave some wiggle room to get lost intentionally! So you can find new AO entries to add to the database. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m the same as @mnml! :grinning: I travel with half a mind on AO and bookmark places in Google Maps.

I also keep my mind and eyes open for potential additions and have a list of submissions I need to make. :kissing_smiling_eyes: The way I see it, Atlas Obscura is both a great guidebook and nudging source of inspiration and wonder. When I’m considering destinations I certainly look to AO. Even when I’m not travelling, I loiter around here for stimulation, inspiration and shots to fuel the wanderlust or get a culture kick… :smile:

2 Likes

My husband and I will be traveling in our Airstream for the next nine months.
We are one week into the trip and have already visited eleven AO sites.
While we don’t exclusively plan our travel route around AO we do actively seek them out whenever we stay at a campground for more than a day.
Sometimes this means a drive of three or more hours to get them all in but each time it has been worth the effort.
At each AO location that we visit I take a great number of pictures and then each evening send them out in an email which allows nineteen family members and friends to enjoy and learn.
Traveling like this, with AO as a companion, has definitely enriched our lives.
Zora

3 Likes

We look for them in advance and plan on them. We also use the Near Me option on the app. Always fun surprises!

2 Likes

Atlas Obscura App? You got my hopes up. You must have meant the mobile site, which still works well. I see that AO sites are supported in the Google Trips app which I just found, but that app is stopping soon, to be integrated into their other apps.
Still would be nice to have a standalone app.

1 Like

All our trips get cross checked on the AO site, and certainly have influenced where we choose to go. Northwest Scotland and the Highland Park whisky distillery are enticing, but my real goal is to see the Isle of Skye and the Fairy Glen.
Some trips are unfruitful (small Caribbean islands) but AO helped me find great places on our recent trip to London. We were acting as tour guides for our friends and I mixed places like Leadenhall Market and Twinings Tea Shop into our city excursions. It blew their minds when we turned a corner into Leadenhall and I announced that they were now in Diagon Alley.
We were walking down Piccadilly searching for our lunch restaurant (Veeraswamy should probably have an entry here) and I randomly noticed the Burlington Arcade. We took a diversion that we never would have found without knowing about it beforehand.

1 Like

In May we completed the total Westbound Route 66 trip. We stopped at a couple of AO places along the way. Ozymandias near Amarillo was a stop suggested by AO. There was plenty to see on the road itself.