Travel-related word: Coddiwomple!

Coddiwomple (verb): to travel purposefully toward a vague destination

Does anyone have a related experience to share? Or do you have other obscure travel-related words to teach us?

6 Likes

I love this question. Last year we became a little obsessed with the concept of “fernweh,” which is a feeling of homesickness for a place you’ve never been. We even got to turn it into a segment for NPR!

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/17/603351981/fantasy-and-childlike-wonder-are-among-common-themes-in-places-people-long-for

6 Likes

I am very pleased to now know the word “coddiwomple.” I have a particular friend who looks for restaurants this way—I have spent many hungry hours following him about.

7 Likes

I think German is magnificent in its creation of huge compound words to get a specific idea across. Fernweh obviously isn’t huge but it makes sense. Words like Waldeinsamkeit from another post is a great example.

2 Likes

Next time, bring snacks with you. :slight_smile:

My favorite travel-related word:

When I was little, I would be so excited at the prospect of traveling with my family that I couldn’t fall asleep the night before the travel.

More pretty words: Other-Wordly

6 Likes

Love this word!

1 Like

As a child, every morning when I headed out the door to walk to school, my Mother wagged her finger and said, “don’t dawdle!” I was always very slow walking to, and from, school because I couldn’t help exploring every little detail and wandering on and off the path along the way. Dawdling is the best!

4 Likes

Dwadle! :rofl: love it. My grammy was fond of dillydallying

4 Likes

I think Darwin was probably the best dawdler of all time.

2 Likes

Agreed!! you have to do a bit of dwadling with a dab of dillydallying to learn about the world. As long as you don’t turn into Mr. Magoo…no better case of nearsightedness and dwadling gone awry.

3 Likes

I’m a geomorphologist, and use related terms to describe my travels. “Meander” would be my equivalent to coddiwomple. “Eddy” is when a river dawdles.

3 Likes

This thread is getting really delightful.

1 Like

I’ve not heard “dawdle” in a long time. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My Pop says “dilly dally” often. Love it. :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh boy… dawdle is a word I heard frequently growing up. I didn’t have much of a sense of urgency when I was younger. I still use it as my daughter has the same urgency I did… she gets called “the Dawdling Daughter” on occasion.

3 Likes

Absolutely!

0 Likes

Oh–I LOVE dilly dally! I do it often, lol

2 Likes

Look you can never go wrong with s slight dilly-dally! Neverrrr!

1 Like

Fernweh reminds me of hiraeth, which is Welsh.

5 Likes

Oof, that word is an emotional gut punch. I love it.

2 Likes