Travel wishlist

What’s on your travel wishlist? My usual two interests along with travel are history and food but the next places on my travel wishlist that I want to go to for family history are Germany and Ireland. I’ve been to Germany before but not the specific area some of my husband’s side of the family still lives in.

1 Like

Great question! I’m going to Ireland next month and will do a tiny bit of getting into family history. Do you know what part your family came from?

My top two travel wishlist places are St Petersburg (Russia, not Florida) and Morocco. I love Dostoyevsky and I feel like St Petersburg is another character in most of his writing; I would love to walk those streets. And Morocco just looks so very interesting! I generally travel solo, and these are two places that I might not feel entirely safe to explore alone, so alas they stay on my wishlist for now. :slightly_smiling_face:

No, not yet. It would be from his grandmother on the spear side of the family, with signs pointing to County Donegal. Enjoy your trip to the Emerald Isle!

Your wishlist places sound interesting! I feel the same way about Egypt that you feel about St. Petersburg and Morocco - would love to travel and see the antiquities and old excavation sites there but it’s not women-friendly.

1 Like

We’ve got two young kids (3 and 1 year old) so have fairly modest ambitions for the next little while, but we intend to get to the east coast of Canada and show them New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia, and then to hop over to Newfoundland. My wife has never been, and I’ve only been there once, in November when the weather’s damp and the Screech is warm, but definitely want to see a lot more.

Aside from that, a place a little closer to home that I’ve been eyeing for a while and never been is Pittsburgh. Looks like a really neat city.

4 Likes

My wishlist is so long! But I think I’d really like to visit Scotland or Antartica. One for all of the history and greenery, and the other for the beautiful solitude.

2 Likes

I definitely want to go to PEI, for literary and gastronomical reasons.

Pittsburgh is an interesting city - went there on a day trip for a convention and wished I had more time to wander.

2 Likes

I remember when I still had grand ambitions of teaching in every continent - Antartica was the only one that stymied me. :grin:

1 Like

Halifax and the 1917 explosion is of great interest.
And by all mean, go to Peggy’s Cove, south of Halifax.

2 Likes

Oh wow! That sounds like an incredible mission. Which was your favorite continent to teach on?

I lived in Halifax for a few months, way back at the end of 2005, and was reading Curse of the Narrows at the time, so it was quite poignant to visit the memorial and look down the gap between pillars to where the two ships collided:

2 Likes

Athens. Florence. Edinburgh. Chichen Itza. Machu Picchu. The Pyramids, Sphinx, and Valley of the Kings. Angkor Wat. South Island of New Zealand.
Places I keep going back to: New York. Washington D.C. New Orleans. San Francisco. London. Amsterdam. Tokyo.

2 Likes

It was supposed to have been

1. Asia
  2. North America
  3. Europe
  4. Australia
  5. Africa
  6. South America
  7. Antarctica

But since I didn’t get too far and stopped after the second continent, I’m not sure I can give justice to this question. I was preparing to find a teaching position in Europe via the DOD schools when I found love (cue sappy music), but his career isn’t easily transferrable internationally so that put paid to my plans…

I do think it would have still been Asia. Teachers are pretty respected there and it was quite a culture shock when I first taught in the US, even though I was expecting it due to doing my research. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If you come to Pittsburgh let me know. I don’t think it’s particularly remarkable myself, but I’ve been here most of my life. I can fill you in on the typical tourist attractions and some other lesser known things that are worth seeing. @thomasharper and I are trying to get a group out to see some things around town that aren’t as well known as other. For instance, one that I put on this list are the Cantini murals.

http://www.pghmurals.com/Mosaic-Tunnel.cfm

2 Likes

Thanks well it will probably be next year at the earliest, but we’d love to get there for sure. My parents visited a few years ago and really raved about it. I would love to go to a baseball game on a nice summer evening :wink:

2 Likes

I’m ready when you are Ted. PNC is definitely a pretty ballpark.

1 Like

I think I Germany and Texas are on my wishlist. My half cousin thing lives there and I’ve wanted to go to Germany to taste their foods out. I was born in the middle of Texas and we left before I could even see! So, yah. I want to see how warm it gets there to. My mother told me it gets really warm out there. Also, I’ve never had the food from Texas.

3 Likes

Nordic countries
Glacier National Park
Grand Teton National Park
Ireland
One of those places where the hotel room/tiny houses are on the crystal clear water
Portugal
Native American Reservation
Switzerland

3 Likes

Good question! , within the next couple of years if possible I’d like to travel to :

1. Several regions in Brazil
    2.Argentina
    3.Portugal
    4.Italy

And in the next decade:
1.Peru
2. Bolivia
3.Chile
4.Colombia
5.Greece

In my lifetime :slight_smile:

1.Egypt
2. Somewhere in Africa that is off the beaten track and where wildlife and intriguing culture can be seen ( Perhaps Namibia or Ethiopia )

3 Likes

I will have lived in the US a dozen years this August, and I have yet to finagle a road trip.

Once I can travel internationally again, I want to go back to Panama and rediscover my country of birth - and maybe even add a few sites to the Atlas :wink: :wink: :smirk:

3 Likes

I want to go to maldives, egypt.

3 Likes