Underground Tunnels of Los Angeles

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Underground Tunnels of Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/underground-tunnels-los-angeles?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

1 Like

So, can you actually visit these LA hidden underground tunnels? And if so, how to arrange this?

2 Likes

I tried to go visit the tunnels and was turned away by a police officer on guard there who said we would be subject to arrest for trespassing if we proceeded. Note: it is apparently under a municipal building and down off a loading dock.

2 Likes

Police car stationed by entrance. No longer left open to entry. Should probably be removed.

1 Like

Agh, sad!!

I work as a city employee, we use the tunnels to move between buildings easily without having to go street level; helps with transporting equipment. Aside from connections between the major buildings, most of everything is closed off by gates or even concrete. The tunnels under Hall of Record are not private and open to the public…its just not very interesting.

It’ll take you to Archives, a parking lot and a few government buildings which you will not be allowed entry into. Not to get into things, but there are a few places you can potentially slip through and make your way into the abandoned sections. If I every run across an urban explorer down there, I will discretely tell them how to find these passages :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been here before with my friend when I was about 18/19. At the entrance was a police officer, and we asked him if we could walk through. I think entrance is up to the discretion of the officer there. It’s mostly for city employees. We did find a woman walking from city hall, and she got angry at us for being there even though we told her we had permission.
We did not take the old elevator down. There were a bunch of boxes filled everywhere. We didn’t touch them. I believe that was in 2013/2014