Unexpected Date-Night Amsterdam

What to say about Amsterdam? It has the alluring charm of Venice, the romantic air of Paris, and the freshness of London. Around every corner, over every bridge, down every canal is a picture-perfect photo opportunity. One can’t help but fall immediately in love with the city. We started our whole date day with a highly recommended brunch at Greenwoods along the Keizersgracht. It was a hearty breakfast/brunch, which we happily devoured. We washed it down with Bloody Mary’s naturally, and we were impressed with the strip of bacon as the condiment - because is there any other option? After our hearty meal, we fought the after-dinner dip with a classic coffee from tried and true Starbucks. (We are American after all).

Hours passed as we found ourselves being charmed by the Nine Streets - hours were lost shopping and thrifting in the area. I highly recommend this area to anyone in search of souvenirs or shopping for something special. The canals and bridges are what you expect from such a beautiful city. On top of that, there are so many little “brown bars” as they’re called. BUT stay alert because bikes are coming every which way, and I secretly think they enjoy scaring unassuming tourists (like ourselves). I cannot reiterate how fast these bikers go. Once we found our bearings and were making our way out of the Nine Streets, we decided to try a space cake. We were warned to tread lightly, but we felt a bit confident, being from California. :wink: They were right, it was strong and we only split half of the brownie! At this high point in time, we wanted an experience, so we headed to Museum Square. We bought our tickets online to the Moco Museum in Amsterdam as per the top recommendations from friends, and it lived up to its reputation!

Moco Museum should be on everyone’s bucket list. Moco Museum is a young, boutique museum with a collection from bluechip modern, contemporary and street artists; making moves in the art world. The collection is housed in the old Villa Alsberg (1904), and I appreciated the smaller rooms as it provided a much more intimate encounter with the art - and photo opportunities. :wink:

I dragged my boyfriend to Moco Museum late one night, and needless to say, it ended up being the perfect date night! Felt like we had the whole museum to ourselves, so there was no rush, and we could wander around casually. Neither of us is very art-minded, but we loved the variety they had on display. The street artworks from Banksy were an obvious standout as many of the pieces have never been seen before.

More honorable mentions include the Moco Masters: KAWS, Kusama, Warhol, Basquiat, Haring, Koons - you name it! And the garden was also a special experience with interactive pieces to create a borderline adult playground. For the young and young at heart, visit Moco Museum and fall in love with art! When we’re back in Amsterdam, we’ll visit the Moco Museum again for another date night.

After our cultural extravaganza, we had the munchies like never before and we were desperate for food fast - fast food! As we were desperately asking passersby on the way towards Leidseplein, everyone seemed to suggest FEBO. Knowing what I know now, I hope this chain/concept comes to the states like yesterday! Behind these little windows are different burgers and Dutch delights sitting patiently on a warm bed - begging to be devoured. We put in the coins and picked our favorites. Damn what a way to end the night! Have any of you shared a date night (unexpectedly) in Amsterdam or anywhere else in the world? I would love to hear your stories too! :smiley: