Unforgettable Book(s) You Bought on Your Travels

books-travel

I was living in China as an ESL teacher for a college. It didn’t matter that I couldn’t read Chinese, I fell in love with this book and have moved with it to several different countries and states. The title is A Chance of Sunshine but it’s also known as Turn Left, Turn Right and the author-illustrator is Jimmy Liao.

I’m looking for several snow globes based on this story but, alas, it seems that they don’t sell them anymore.

I always try to visit used bookstores when I travel, ever on the hunt for insane pulp paperbacks, which I will also not likely read. This is one of my favorites, a weird dispatch from the Satanic Panic.

I took along The Pilgrimage by Paolo Coelho with me on the Camino de Santiago. I thought he captured the eerie feel of the journey rather well. It was also weird to have it as some kind of fictional guide for me as I reached each of the tops.

That is so wonderful - I want to do the Camino someday! How was it for you?

I’ve bought only one book on a trip, and it was this one in New York City: Foreclosed: Rehousing the American Dream. I was so impressed with the MoMA’s timely program — I only wish more could’ve been done to make their work reality.

If that’s something you like, have I got a puzzle for you. That you will also likely not do. :wink:

I was just saying to a friend the other day that one of the biggest downfalls about having a tiny NY apartment is that there’s no room to do puzzles!

Haven’t you ever heard of puzzle keepers?

0091683040056_p0_v2_s250x250

haha I think you’re still underestimating the smallness of my apt…

Henrik Ibsen’s Enemy of the People in Oslo, Norway
Colected works of H. C. Andersen in Odense, Denmark
Redcoats along the Hudson in Quebec, Canada

I made sure to grab a copy of this when I was in Germany so I could have it in the original language. The locals I was hanging out with shunned me for reawakening the crap that scared the hell out of them when they were kids.