Unforgettable Local Ads

Donna and the Wolfman were a father/daughter duo in the Atlanta area with really memorable commercials in the 80’s. Their furniture stores are still around!

4 Likes

Merchant’s Auto in Hooksett, Nh has great radio ads! They do wacky voices, impressions, and funny stories in them. Whoever they have working on them does pretty good impressions of all the US presidents since Bush senior! They’re pretty well known/loved in NH.

There’s a billboard outside Salina Kansas for the “Second Friendliest Yarn Store in the Universe”.

This implies that:

1. They are familiar with the entire universe and it’s yarn market.
  2. Somewhere, in the universe, there is a yarn store that is more friendly.
  3. They are principled enough to not DARE to claim to be the friendliest.
  4. The friendlier yarn store is so friendly, they have no hope of overtaking them in friendliness.

Yarn

8 Likes

Does anyone remember “Cal Worthington and his dog Spot?” Each ad featured Mr. Worthington in a white cowboy hat walking through his car dealership with a different animal that was very definitely not a dog. I remember ones where he was riding a cow, carrying a parrot, I think one with a cheetah or a tiger or some other kind of big cat.

7 Likes

Long before digital anything, color TV or computer graphics perhaps one of the most iconic TV ad campaigns of all time burst forth in the 1950’s on small screen black and white VHF sets all over the 5 boroughs of New York City. At least 3 of the 7 then available TV networks showed them . I speak of course of Burt and Harry Piels. Simple Black and white line drawing animation for Piels Beer written by and voice over by Bob and Ray, stars of radio comedy famous for their deadpan, quirky and totally hilarious skits. “Urban Legend” is a just title for this pair and part of NY folklore.

Piels was a local NY beer brewed in Staten Island with nothing to recommend it and a small market share. With the introduction of Burt and Harry circa 1952, sales took off. The brewery eventually folded and is unremembered, but Burt and Harry went into the record books. Just do a internet search to see grainy B&W reruns. They even have a listing in Wikipedia.

1 Like

OK, Pittsburgh area, you know the drill:

Plus, it’s not Christmas season here until this starts playing:

3 Likes

The ones that immediately came to mind are Dodd’s Furniture and Mattress ads with Gordy Dodd (catchphrase “I won’t be undersold”). He dressed up like various movie characters and often involved his staff as well. https://youtu.be/YsQigUz6uq4

Another memorable one is the King of Floors from Surrey, BC and his loyal hound, Sir Scruffy. https://youtu.be/vGkwP4m1wCA

1 Like

I grew up in the Northern NJ area in the 70s and 80s (so the NYC market for TV purposes) We had so many memorable commercials! Some of my favorites…

Crazy Eddie

Newmark and Lewis (“Dick Lewis is watching!” Kinda creepy looking back at this LOL)

D’Agostino (This is so very catchy)

And this one for the MTA train to JFK. Every darn time I go to the airport, this pops in my head for some reason ha ha

2 Likes

These are great! And that “train to the plane” jingle is going to be a problem for me. It’s already stuck in my head.

1 Like

I logged in specifically to cite this ad :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone who grew up in the DC metro area in the 80s will remember the Jhoon Rhee ad and that damn jingle:

Still find myself singing it, or quoting the irritating kid at the end.

4 Likes

Oklahomans everywhere know that the Christmas season has really begun when they hear/see this ad.

Just start singing it in Oklahoma. I promise people will sing along.
2 Likes

LOL I know the feeling! Ha ha

Eastern Motors was a classic

Everyone who grew up in the Augusta, Georgia area in the 80s is forever haunted by the Master Fabricators jingle with the monkey riding in one of those quarter machine cars. “You’ll always get the shaft – the drive shaft – at Master Fabricators!”

2 Likes

New Orleans has a million of these. The first that comes to mind is the Rosenberg’s girl. Say “Rosenberg’s” to anyone in New Orleans over 40 and they will immediately shout “1825 Tulane.” Unfortunately, as we say in New Orleans it “ain’t dere no more.”

Another great furniture was the Universal Chairman.

And possibly the best was the Frankie and Johnny’s “special man.”
“Let her have it.” “With no problems.”
2 Likes

The Pacific Northwest in the 1980s had Cal Worthington.

Huh, weird. He’s apparently from Long Beach, CA. But we got these in Seattle.

4 Likes

I lived n Stockholm in the late 1960s and there was a billboard inside the subway train car. It featured a girl, bare to the waist (not an issue in Sweden), with a huge bruise from her shoulder to her waist. The caption read…“I was wearing my seatbelt and I am alive.”

2 Likes

This is a Baltimore classic. The tagline is “Don’t urinate on my leg and tell me it’s raining!”

4 Likes

Indeed. I still hear, to the tune of “Happy and You Know It”:

If you want a car or truck, go see Cal,
If you want to save a buck, go see Cal,
Give a new car to your wife,
She will love you all your life,
Go see Cal, Go see Cal, Go see Cal.

2 Likes