Unforgettable Local Ads

OK, Pittsburgh area, you know the drill:

Plus, it’s not Christmas season here until this starts playing:

3 Likes

The ones that immediately came to mind are Dodd’s Furniture and Mattress ads with Gordy Dodd (catchphrase “I won’t be undersold”). He dressed up like various movie characters and often involved his staff as well. https://youtu.be/YsQigUz6uq4

Another memorable one is the King of Floors from Surrey, BC and his loyal hound, Sir Scruffy. https://youtu.be/vGkwP4m1wCA

1 Like

I grew up in the Northern NJ area in the 70s and 80s (so the NYC market for TV purposes) We had so many memorable commercials! Some of my favorites…

Crazy Eddie

Newmark and Lewis (“Dick Lewis is watching!” Kinda creepy looking back at this LOL)

D’Agostino (This is so very catchy)

And this one for the MTA train to JFK. Every darn time I go to the airport, this pops in my head for some reason ha ha

2 Likes

These are great! And that “train to the plane” jingle is going to be a problem for me. It’s already stuck in my head.

1 Like

I logged in specifically to cite this ad :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone who grew up in the DC metro area in the 80s will remember the Jhoon Rhee ad and that damn jingle:

Still find myself singing it, or quoting the irritating kid at the end.

4 Likes

Oklahomans everywhere know that the Christmas season has really begun when they hear/see this ad.

Just start singing it in Oklahoma. I promise people will sing along.
2 Likes

LOL I know the feeling! Ha ha

Eastern Motors was a classic

Everyone who grew up in the Augusta, Georgia area in the 80s is forever haunted by the Master Fabricators jingle with the monkey riding in one of those quarter machine cars. “You’ll always get the shaft – the drive shaft – at Master Fabricators!”

2 Likes

New Orleans has a million of these. The first that comes to mind is the Rosenberg’s girl. Say “Rosenberg’s” to anyone in New Orleans over 40 and they will immediately shout “1825 Tulane.” Unfortunately, as we say in New Orleans it “ain’t dere no more.”

Another great furniture was the Universal Chairman.

And possibly the best was the Frankie and Johnny’s “special man.”
“Let her have it.” “With no problems.”
2 Likes

The Pacific Northwest in the 1980s had Cal Worthington.

Huh, weird. He’s apparently from Long Beach, CA. But we got these in Seattle.

4 Likes

I lived n Stockholm in the late 1960s and there was a billboard inside the subway train car. It featured a girl, bare to the waist (not an issue in Sweden), with a huge bruise from her shoulder to her waist. The caption read…“I was wearing my seatbelt and I am alive.”

2 Likes

This is a Baltimore classic. The tagline is “Don’t urinate on my leg and tell me it’s raining!”

4 Likes

Indeed. I still hear, to the tune of “Happy and You Know It”:

If you want a car or truck, go see Cal,
If you want to save a buck, go see Cal,
Give a new car to your wife,
She will love you all your life,
Go see Cal, Go see Cal, Go see Cal.

2 Likes

New Yorkers will no doubt remember the Fugazy Continental limousine company, which was so successful at one point that it got Bob Hope to do the voiceover for its ads:

After the company imploded amidst fraud allegations, its name became a local slang term for anything scammy or fraudulent.

3 Likes

Barry R Glazer Law Office is Baltimore legend! He should be an elected official!!
Scott Donahoo of Foreign Motors is gone (I guess…who really knows…but his spots were simply obnoxious and over the top, too) He is/was almost as good at Barry Glazer!

1 Like

does anyone remember Crazy Eddie in New York City? He was loud and obnoxious and he sold more good that anyone else … his ads really made him sales and he was a subject in classes at NYU.

3 Likes

When I lived in Memphis, TN. about 25 years ago, a commercial ad which was to be seen locally during the Superbowl ended up inadvertently, I’m sure, going national during THAT day!
It was a simple commercial utilizing hilarious stereotypical moving men who literally, move in practically when they should be working and in the best country way, while a mover is in front of the TV, drinking and snacking, he asks," Hey, Lady! You got any more of them delicious little finger cakes?"

The actual company was advertised in their first ad ever via Super Bowl. They touted the name “Two Men and a Truck!” They shut down the next day due to overwhelming response nationwide. I do not know if they are the same company that uses it’s name today but between the ad and the story, it spiralled out of control and has caused a lot of laughter in our home since!

2 Likes

This is AMAZING.