Visiting Utah and Colorado

Hey all.

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip starting in Las Vegas and ending in Denver. We plan on driving through Utah to hit some parks. I am looking for recommendations on this area in general, such as:

• cool hikes/ natural stuff to do within the National Parks (I am a geologist so added bonus for cool rock stuff!)
  • interesting non hiking stuff along the road
  • good restaurant suggestions/ local food and cuisine
  • stuff to do in Denver/Boulder Co.
  • good/cheap places to stay (thinking airbnb right now)
  • anything geological!
2 Likes

See Zion NP, awesome experience for all

2 Likes

@pixiemyevilcat Feel free to use our travel tool, it’s still in a beta phase but will give you a bunch of places that are in the Atlas that span Las Vegas to Denver. https://www.atlasobscura.com/search/between/new
Have a great trip

First Zion, then Bryce Canyon, then drive route 12 through Escalante up to Capitol Reef National Park. One of the best kept secrets in Utah. After that, take I70 East. You could stop at Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, but don’t miss the Colorado National Monument in Fruita, CO. Very, very cool. Lots of pictographs all over the areas you’ll be in. Just ask the locals. If they trust you, they’ll tell you where they are. Most are easy hikes.

2 Likes

You could spend your whole time looking at geology just arou d Moab and still be looking for things to do. The Anticline south of Moab, Natural Bridges National Monument. If you want to see Monument Valley, and you do, drive up or down the Moki Dugway, Utah Highway 261. Then you can see the Goosenecks, Mexican Hat…

…yeah, there is a lot.

1 Like

If you haven’t done so, I recommend reading Desert Solitaire by Ed Abbey before your trip to Arches. He was the first appointed park ranger and has some, at times controversial, but unique observations on the area before it became the park it is today. They’ve been mentioned, but I’m going to call Zion, Arches, Canyonlands and Bryce all compulsory.

If you or your boyfriend are in the least interested in automotive history the Shelby American Collection outside of Denver is a mind boggling collection of historic race cars.

2 Likes

There’s a great IG account that compiles national park pix, the Utah parks are well represented.

I’d imagine that as a geologist this kinda stuff might turn you on.

1 Like

Along with the other parks already mentioned, of course Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Rocky Mountain National Park, Black Canyon of the Gunnison… You can’t hardly drive anywhere in that part of the US without stumbling upon awe-inspiring views and geological formations!

1 Like

If you go through Moab, take a drive out to Dead Horse Point State Park. It is a 5000 acre park on the high plateau overlooking Canyonlands NP and the Colorado River. Spectacular.

1 Like

If you end up in Boulder, I would suggest visiting the Dushanbe Tea House for lunch/tea. A really cool place.

1 Like

These are great everyone thanks a bunch for helping @pixiemyevilcat. If anyone else has travel plans, questions, or need help feel free to create a thread and ask away!!