"What a Viral Video of a Coyote and Badger Says About Interspecies Duos" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, What a Viral Video of a Coyote and Badger Says About Interspecies Duos. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

1 Like

I’m a conservation biologist and found this fascinating. I live where both species occur and now hope to observe this behavior one day. One note to AO though, and not a negative criticism, the badger pictured at the article title is a European badger, which is a different species than the American badger. To be clear, there are no coyotes in Europe.

1 Like

This is the kind of observation I live for. For me, one of the great joys in life is listening to people who know their S* add clarification or correction, however immaterial, to a discussion.

In regards to the story, not only do I find inter-species interaction adorable (high d’aww factor here despite the predatory nature of both animals) but the symbiosis is fascinating.

1 Like

Thank you AO for correcting the badger image.

I don’t really understand how the badger would put up with the coyote snatching the food once he dug it out. There must be more success this way, but I can’t wrap my brain around it yet.

I live in Portland Oregon and about 3 months ago at about i:30 in the morning I saw a coyote that has been frequently spotted in our neighborhood. But this was no typical sighting. The coyote was traveling with a cat. A mid sized black cat. They were clearly traveling together and seemed quite comfortable with each other. I tried to get a picture of the two of them together but it was dark and all I had was my phone and I was using it to play the sounds of rabbits in distress because I was trying to call the coyote in so I could get a better glimpse of him or her. I didn’t expect to see a cat walking beside it and wasn’t sure what it was at first. I could only tell that it was smaller and not exactly the same shape because I could only see the silhouette of the two of them at first but when they stopped and then the coyote hopped over the cat and went to explore another area of the yard while the cat sat there and seemed to be keeping a lookout for the coyote as it stared at me the entire time until the coyote came back and sat right behind the cat( inches behind it) for a minute looking at me and then the two of them took off together and disappeared behind a vacant house in our neighborhood. I couldn’t believe it. But it’s true. I wish the photos I was able to take had turned out better but I can’t make out anything in them so I won’t waste my time or yours by putting them on here. I’m still amazed by what I saw that night and haven’t seen the two (either)of them since.