What are your Fall traditions?

Hi, all!

I’m currently taking a break from setting up my Halloween decorations, and I was curious: what are your beloved fall traditions? Maybe they come with the season (e.g. leaf collecting), maybe they’re your local hometown festivals, or maybe they’re part of a holiday, like All Hallowtide (The holidays associated with All Hallow’s Eve, All Saints’ Day, and All Souls’ Day), Samhain, Sukkot, Diwali or Tihar. I’m curious to see everyone’s traditions, and would love pictures and recipes!

As part of a newly-adopted tradition, this year I thought I would try making soul cakes for Halloween! Here are few recipes I found online, but once I make them, I can share how they turned out!

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15536354

2 Likes

Somewhere around 1987, my dad decided that instead of taking my sister and I around for Halloween, he’d give out candy. He grew up one of 9, and wanted to make Halloween something for people to remember. He made a plaster cast of his face, donned a black woolen robe and stood on the porch with a scythe. In the bowl in front of him were full sized candy bars.

I doubt it was the first kid, but it wasn’t long before he was scaring people over the bushes in front of the house. He loved it. He built a spider web, he built some tombstones, and as the years went by, the props increased. The purchases increased. Eventually he built a coffin. Then he bought a coffin, and didn’t tell my mom. The scares increased mid-year when she saw it in the basement.

When I got out of college I joined in, as did a few of the cousins. So we wouldn’t decorate the same way two years in a row, I took videos.

Dad’s costume from last year always went on a dummy. I stuck to the shadows, slinking around, hoping to scare each kid three times. The cousins struggled to find their roles, but eventually one donned a ghillie suit and was the scariest bush in three counties. In 2011 we gave out 1300 candy bars. The full size candy bar, the scare and texting combined to bring far too many kids to effectively scare and we decided to take a year off. Nature took it off for us, as Sandy cancelled Halloween, but the next year I was out in an apartment and we took the props with us. I bought a house in April, had a kid last December, so I’m taking this year off, but next year, Frank is coming over and we’re going to ramp it back up.

2007: YouTube

2008: YouTube

2 Likes

Love this topic!

Leaf pile Potluck
When I was just out of college, my group of friends would gather each year for a potluck.
Each year, we picked a different city park.
We’d spend an hour or so raking leaves…
… we’d hoot and holler and jump and roll in the pile…
… throw leaves in the air…
… then we’d pull out thermoses of hot cider…
… and casseroles and breads and all things yummy…
… and pies and brownies…

2 Likes

If you all have any pictures, feel free to share !!

Naw. No pics. Just memories.
BSK

Now that it’s cool enough it’s time to make the lefse. Some may call them Norwegian tortillas, but I call them nummy. It has to be cool enough because the lefse griddle runs at 475 to 500°F (245 to 260°C). I’m used to the griddle being set up in the garage to protect us from the wind. I say “us” because it’s a laborious labor of love to make these…boiling potatoes, ricing them, mixing in the cream, kneading in the flour, rolling them out with the special rolling pin, and finally grilling and flipping these on the ungreased griddle.

After we spend an entire day grilling lefse, sipping coffee, and chatting, we would split everything up to go in freezers to prepare for all of the upcoming holidays. It can’t be a gathering without buttering and rolling up a piece of lefse, and some will sprinkle on some sugar and cinnamon. This is a fall ritual for many in the upper Midwest of Norwegian descent.

2 Likes

I love this!!! I’m always so happy to see people go all out for Halloween. I hope I have the means someday to hand out full-sized candy bars!

This is such a lovely tradition!

I’ve never heard of lefse! It sounds so delicious, thanks so much for sharing!

1 Like