What Do You Dip Your French Fries In?

Fry sauce. You love it, I love it. And as we recently explored in an article over on the Atlas Obscura main site, people all over the world love it, in one variety or another. And while it was fun to explore the cultural significance of many of the kinds of fry sauces of the world, it was hardly a comprehensive guide to great things to dip your fries in. Now I want to hear about your preferred french fry dipping medium.

(Image: pittaya/CC BY 2.0)

Personally, I love the traditional combo of ketchup and mayo, but the absolute pinnacle of french fry accoutrement is using a Wendy’s Chocolate Frosty as a dipping sauce. It’s a perfect storm of complementary contradictions. The salty with the sweet, the hot fries covered in cold Frosty. It might seem odd, but trust me on this one, it’s perfect.

What’s your ideal french fry dipping sauce? Tell us in the comments below, and share why you like it so much, and favorite memories, etc. As the song says, I dip, you dip, we dip. But in what?

2 Likes

Chipotle mayo. Steak sauce and mayo. Gojuchang and mayo. Seeing a theme here?

5 Likes

What you and @samirpatel listed, plus…

2 Likes

My god sister dips them in Frostees from Wendy’s and swears by it…I can’t get with the desecration of that frozen cup of deliciousness. Just seems wrongggggg.

2 Likes

It’s so right, though…

1 Like

I’ve heard lol. And not just her, a whole congregation of Frostee fry dippers exist

3 Likes

Mayo-ketchup, and ice cream…

1 Like

This might sound strange but if it’s a good fry then I don’t want to sully its perfection with a sauce! I love potatoes in all forms and a nice fry, with the perfect mix of salted crispy exterior and soft, almost melty interior, well, why ruin that by covering it with something else? That being said, I’ll occasionally use ketchup if it’s provided (but I would never ask for it!), ranch if I can get it, or whatever leftover Polynesian sauce I didn’t use on my chicken nuggets that I got from chick-fil-a!

5 Likes

I used to dip exclusively in ketchup but last year I worked a seasonal job out in Utah an was introduced to fry sauce. I’ve whipped up my own batched several times since.

2 Likes

Fries in wendy’s frosy? Any chance you’re from Ohio?

1 Like

The other Scandinavian dressing that the article missed for fries was pommes fries sauce (literally French fries sauce)
486x356_Heinz_pommesfrites_400ml_usd_fop

1 Like

Two other common fry condements in Denmark are aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and creme fraiche sauce.

1 Like

My personal favorite though is sriracha

“Some children in Cote d’Ivoire are forced to work in terrible conditions against their will, picking cocoa beans that make their way into Mars company sweets. A class action lawsuit sought to force Mars company candy bar labels to disclose the fact that child slaves may have picked the cocoa beans that went into these chocolates. But a recent court ruling found that Mars isn’t obligated to do so under California’s consumer protection laws, because—technically speaking—child labor doesn’t affect the quality of the product.” so just rember when using m&m’s you might be supporting child slave labor

What if Mars candy bar labels had to disclose a bitter truth about child labor?

1 Like

Barbecue sauce/A1/honey mustard/ regular mustard (as a last resort only if none of the others are available). Sometimes Buffalo sauce.

1 Like

NO love for just straight mayo yet? For shame. My ex introduced me to it. Her dad picked it up in the service in Germany. I’ve not tried it personally, but the merits of the Frosty dip have been extolled to me repeatedly. If fact, said ex girlfriend may have been the first one I heard that from.

Aoli, BBQ Sauce, Mustard, hell, Ive even been known to dip them in a McDonalds Vanilla Thickshake

2 Likes

I’m an American traditionalist for this. Ketchup for me. I can do mayo when I am in Europe, but I still prefer ketchup.

1 Like

Heinz 57. It’s not just for breakfast anymore…

2 Likes

Tartar sauce- much better or one of my special ketchup’s - like pineapple

1 Like