What Is the Best Format of French Fry?

Just about everyone can agree that french fries are great. They might not be great FOR you, but it’s hard to deny that they go with just about everything. They can be dressed up or slopped down. French fries are the Marvel movies of foods, some are better than others, but they’re all pretty enjoyable (h/t @Anne_Ewbank for that perfect simile).

But the one thing it’s hard for people to agree on is what shape french fries should take. Standard cut? Waffle? Crinkle? Steak? What is the best and most correct shape of french fry? Depends who you ask, but we want to try and quantify it anyway. In the great tradition of highly arbitrary food polls, vote for your favorite shape of fry below, and tell us why you think it is the one and only True Fry.

• Standard Cut/Shoestring
  • Steak
  • Waffle
  • Crinkle Cut
  • Curly
  • Smiley
  • Other (Please describe in the comments)

0 voters

(Cottage “fries,” tater tots, and straight-up potato wedges have been omitted for sanity.)

2 Likes

*If anyone needs a reference (and of course you do, right?) the Complete Guide To Everything podcast gave a rundown on top fries: HeadGum // The Complete Guide to Everything: French Fries

Regularly one of my favorite podcasts.

2019-09-04_1211

2 Likes

Shouldn’t shoestring and standard cut be two separate things?

2 Likes

Right? That covers a range of sizes with completely different textures. I vastly prefer a thicker standard fry, with enough girth to have a fully crisp exterior and a baked-potato-like interior. I guess that they’re technically the same shape or “format,” though…

3 Likes

One thing I personally do not like is when the fries are spiced up too much as is often done with curly fries. Unfortunately I am yet to find much within reason which has been deep fat fried which I do not like if it has been done “right”. I have met some grim fries for instance where the temp of the oil was not hot enough, etc., etc.

3 Likes

Agreed that shoestring/standard cut ought to be separately listed, since they’ll produce different results. Shoestring cuts, (essentially julienned) will almost certainly not have much potato-y texture, since there’s little meal inside the crisp exterior surface. Almost like a crisp (Brit meanings) not a proper chip. Anyhoo … my personal Platonic ideal of a fry would be “standard”. About 3/8" x 3/8" 3-5" in length, twice fried to a light golden brown. Dipped in garlic basil aioli. Heaven!

2 Likes

This might be a UK thing only, but double fried (or even triple if you’re Heston Blumenthal!) chips cooked in beef fat or lard are as tasty as they’re unhealthy :smiley:

5 Likes

Oh whoa. That sounds… decadent.

Your specificity is a sign of a true fry fan.

2 Likes

I can’t tell whether the lack of enthusiasm for smiley face fries means that people take fries very seriously or if they just aren’t an ideal shape.

1 Like

Smiley fries are for small children who don’t know any better yet.

2 Likes

Steak fries for home-cooked meals, standard cut fries when I order to go; waffle fries I do not eat because they’re mainly only available at certain places I do not patronize because of their politics.

I can’t cast a ballot so I vote with my wallet.

4 Likes

I like a slightly thick standard cut double fried in duck fat. Just salted.

3 Likes

Cut is only one dimension. Too many fry chefs shifted to a bland and tasteless vegetable shortening in the U.S. - but a fry clearly from its name alone is dependent for its flavor and texture on the frying media. Plus we could go into the tater itself-I love a fry cut from a mealy spud like a Luther Burbank idaho.

1 Like

What the heck is a smiley fry? :thinking:

Cannot resist a french fry survey. And a note: I put steak fry but I really need you to know how much I love ALL fries.

2 Likes

:wave::wave:

I also love all fries but do have a weakness for curly fries. I like my potatoes spicy!

2 Likes

I think it’s probably what you eat it with rather than the shape that matters most. My favorite things to pair it with are curry ketchup and garlic aioli, au jus from a pot roast, and Wendy’s chocolate frosties. Kenny and Ziggy’s deli in Houston, TX also makes the most amazing “schmutzy fries” smothered with cheese, garlic, and tender, delicious chunks of the best pastrami ever.

3 Likes

Dipping fries in a Wendy’s Frosty is the ultimate fry experience.

2 Likes