What is the World's Greatest Fountain?

Has humanity ever devised a finer combination of things than statuary and water, by which I mean fountains? Probably, but fountains are pretty damn great. In parks and squares all across the world, there’re wondrous water features adding fluid movement to otherwise static public landmarks. From the sci-fi spectacle of the Fort Worth Water Gardens, to the surprising elephant fountain of Catania, Italy, to the hilariously unfortunate “Turtle Boy” fountain in Worcester, Massachusetts, the list of incredible fountains around the world is nearly endless. Now we want to hear about the most wondrous, unforgettable, and downright incredible fountains you’ve ever encountered.

(Image: William Cho/CC BY-SA 2.0)

In the comments below, tell us about the most beautiful or surprising fountain you’ve ever discovered, where it is, what makes it so special, and how you found it. If you have any pictures of the fountain, post those as well! Your response may be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura. The world’s fountains are not just a great place to cool off, they’re also just cool!

1 Like

Recognize this bad boy?!

Well, you should! It appears in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

It’s called the Gilman fountain, and it’s on Occidental College’s campus in Los Angeles.

6 Likes

giphy

1 Like

I find many fountains around the world are beautiful but for me the prettiest is…
Changi airport (Singapore)

Courtesy of CNN

11 Likes

This is an airport?!?!?!

3 Likes

My favorite is by no means imposing, but I like it because of the story behind it:

The fountain is located at the town square in Peñuelas, Puerto Rico. It depicts the legend of the river surrounding the town that served as a meeting place for lovers. Among them were a young Spanish woman named Anés who was in love with an Indian named Guay. However, Anés’ family didn’t approved of the relationship and tasked a young military man to kill Guay. He also was in love to the Spanish woman (although they had no relationship), so he didn’t hesitate to accept and was confident it would boost his chances to win her over.

During one of the couple’s meetings by the river, the soldier fired and shot Guay who fell on the river. What the soldier didn’t expect was for Anés to jump in to save her true love. The soldier alerted her family, but by the time they returned, they were both dead. Their bodies hugging under the clear waters.

The town’s priest at the time named the river Guayanés (their combined names) in honor to their unconditional love.

The fountain depicts the love birds, divided by a string of water, a plaque nearby narrates the legend (in Spanish).

Anés on one side:

Guay on the other:

The plaque:

11 Likes

Ye it’s part of the jewel in Singapore airport they are regenerating it Click here for the official jewel website⬛

1 Like

So far the best one i have seen is the Trevi Fountain in Rome, Italy, spectacular, goose-bumps inducing sight.

9 Likes

I love the fountain at the Vancouver airport (YVR). Unfortunately you are usually only rushing past it to get through customs but it’s a nice bit of nature in the otherwise dull (and LONG) process.
It starts with a large fall with a huge circle totem(?),

(image from Global Gateway - Vancouver Economic CommissionVancouver Economic Commission) but then it actually cascades down next to the escalators which is amazing (I couldn’t find a good picture).

3 Likes

The fountains at Peterhof (Petrodvorets), Saint Petersburg, Russia.

6 Likes

Point State Park Fountain, Pittsburgh, Pa. marks the beginning of the mighty Ohio River, and is legendarily fed by Pittsburgh’s “Fourth” River.

5 Likes

The Fasnachtsbrunnen from Tinguely, Kinetic Artwork in Basel, Switzerland

10 Likes
6 Likes

I also love the fountains at Witley Court in England,

because they’re lovely, in a lovely garden,

with a ruined manor house, which equals a magical visit.

7 Likes

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Water+Forms+II+fountain+sculpture+by+George+Baker/@34.1266277,-118.2130701,234m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x80c2c166252332a1:0xb7b5326ed6e158a6!2sOccidental+College!8m2!3d34.1273187!4d-118.2101144!3m4!1s0x80c2c150a60952eb:0x41320b98d0eef0de!8m2!3d34.1266277!4d-118.2125229

The fountains at Versailles are no slouch.

2 Likes

Danke für, thanks for the memory of this altogether delightful fountain fete in one of my favorite cities. Whimsical and witty, it’s the perfect expression of Faßnacht, the night (Shrove Tuesday) before the start of the austerity marking Lent.

When I was a kid we used to go to Callaway Gardens in Georgia. It had a fountain you could play in.
callaway%20gardens

2 Likes

Fontana di Trevi is well known but what about the little Fountain of the Turtles ?
In France, there is a beautiful Jardin de la Fontaine in Nimes.
In Florence, in the Villa di Castello, close to Sesto Fiorentino, the guests were kindly invited to get into the grotto and were immediately soaked by all the little hidden fountains inside.

That’s the one!