What is the World's Greatest Fountain?

I love the fountain at the Vancouver airport (YVR). Unfortunately you are usually only rushing past it to get through customs but it’s a nice bit of nature in the otherwise dull (and LONG) process.
It starts with a large fall with a huge circle totem(?),

(image from Global Gateway - Vancouver Economic CommissionVancouver Economic Commission) but then it actually cascades down next to the escalators which is amazing (I couldn’t find a good picture).

4 Likes

The fountains at Peterhof (Petrodvorets), Saint Petersburg, Russia.

6 Likes

Point State Park Fountain, Pittsburgh, Pa. marks the beginning of the mighty Ohio River, and is legendarily fed by Pittsburgh’s “Fourth” River.

5 Likes

The Fasnachtsbrunnen from Tinguely, Kinetic Artwork in Basel, Switzerland

11 Likes
6 Likes

I also love the fountains at Witley Court in England,

because they’re lovely, in a lovely garden,

with a ruined manor house, which equals a magical visit.

8 Likes

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Water+Forms+II+fountain+sculpture+by+George+Baker/@34.1266277,-118.2130701,234m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x80c2c166252332a1:0xb7b5326ed6e158a6!2sOccidental+College!8m2!3d34.1273187!4d-118.2101144!3m4!1s0x80c2c150a60952eb:0x41320b98d0eef0de!8m2!3d34.1266277!4d-118.2125229

The fountains at Versailles are no slouch.

2 Likes

Danke für, thanks for the memory of this altogether delightful fountain fete in one of my favorite cities. Whimsical and witty, it’s the perfect expression of Faßnacht, the night (Shrove Tuesday) before the start of the austerity marking Lent.

When I was a kid we used to go to Callaway Gardens in Georgia. It had a fountain you could play in.
callaway%20gardens

2 Likes

Fontana di Trevi is well known but what about the little Fountain of the Turtles ?
In France, there is a beautiful Jardin de la Fontaine in Nimes.
In Florence, in the Villa di Castello, close to Sesto Fiorentino, the guests were kindly invited to get into the grotto and were immediately soaked by all the little hidden fountains inside.

That’s the one!

Adore this fountain. I felt so magical just being next to it!

The Stravinsky Fountain, as its name implies, represents the musical work of Igor Stravinsky.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whimsical magic of this delightful fountain in Paris next to the Center Pompidou.

7 Likes

That is SO COOL!!

1 Like

https://longwoodgardens.org/gardens/main-fountain-garden

The fountains at Longwood Gardens at Kennett Square, near Philadelphia are amazing. They’re influenced by the great fountains of Europe, built by Pierre DuPont in the 1920’s. Longwood and its fountains are a must-see.

8 Likes

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Plaza Venezuela Fountain

Plaza Francia - Altamira, Caracas-Venezuela

5 Likes

Definitely Trevi fountain in Rome! Especially when it’s lit up at night.
Last year I visited Lyon, France and was very impressed with the Fontaine Bartholdi. Water mist comes out of the horses’ nostrils that makes it look like steam.

Very dramatic. :ok_hand:

6 Likes

The Water Dome at Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Florida, was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. When originally built, the pumps available to Wright weren’t powerful enough to create the dome-like spray he envisioned. It wasn’t until 2007 that the school, which boasts the largest collection of Wright structures, restored the fountain and outfitted it with sufficient equipment to realize Wright’s vision.

I graduated several years before it was restored, but I have been back several times since 2007, and it’s simply stunning, especially at night. The fact that there are a dozen other Wright structures in walking distance make a visit that much more worthwhile.

9 Likes