What is the World's Greatest Train Station?

In 2014 I visited Moscow and was amazed at the beauty of the train stations - if only the rest of the world could put so much effort and detail into the designs and upkeep of these places for the public to enjoy! - photos of Kiyevskaya Subway

12 Likes

Wow, this is some amazing architecture!

1 Like

Not much of a true workhorse anymore, but the building is fantastic.

14 Likes

Kyoto Train Station, by far, in my experience.ElectricLightStairsSm

4 Likes

Thats truly mesmerizing!

Cincinnati’s Union terminal is is certainly a great example of art deco form and one of my favorite buildings anywhere. Nicely done photos.

Don’t know if this counts but Chattanooga, TN (home of the Chattanooga Choo Choo) has a hotel set up at the site of the original train station. There are regular hotel rooms but for a not-too-exorbitant price you can stay in an authentic old sleeper car. It’s really charming with a full size bed and a day bed, plus they are dog friendly. We’ve stayed there twice and loved it.

5 Likes

During my first trip to Europe, I started in Italy and rode trains from Florence to Milan and then to the Netherlands. The train station in Milan was breathtakingly beautiful - marble floors, marble walls, HUGE marble columns at the entrance. I was fortunate to have several hours to explore both the train station and the nearby area. Since that trip was almost 20 years ago, I don’t have any digital photos but I found this link that gives one a tour. A must do stop if you’re ever in Italy. YouTube

2 Likes

Gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. I never knew. Wikipedia has an extensive article on this beautiful building, too Cincinnati Union Terminal - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Agree! It was quite a few years go (before it’s renewal) but I still vividly remember how impressed and awed I was when I alighted from my train from Brussels and slowly walked toward the exit, gazing at the amazing ceiling, glass and clock. When I finally got outside I took almost as long, walking backwards… The outside facade is not ugly either! Truly a memorable building.

1 Like

Have no pictures, but Union Station in DC is still my favorite.

1 Like

St. Petersburg also has beautiful stations.

1 Like

Yes yes yes!! That was going to be mine! It’s beautiful inside and out and it’s crazy how much greenery there is in there.

2 Likes

Call me biased, but my hometown station is absolutely adorable. Dunedin Railway Station was build during the city’s hay-days as New Zealand’s wealthiest, and fastest growing city.
" In an eclectic, revived Flemish renaissance style, (Renaissance Revival), the station is constructed of dark basalt with lighter Oamaru stone facings, giving it the distinctive light and dark pattern…"

The foyer itself is an absolute delight.
Although tiny by world standards, this is in my opinion an absolute gem an needs to be on everyone’s list of fab stations.

7 Likes

My favorite train station is definitely Atocha in Madrid, already shared by explodingirl.

I love train travel and am generally pretty impressed by train stations, but I’ll mention the peak-tourist station Jungfraujoch, the highest station in Europe, with its windows on the Alps. What a terrifying thing to construct.

Jungfraujoch by Patrick Nouhailler, on Flickr

Sphinx Observatory, Jungfraujoch by Kevin Poh, on Flickr

This is not to mention all of the scenic stations you encounter in the Alps on the way to and from Jungfraujoch.

Schweiz 132 Jungfraujoch - Kleine Scheidegg by Klaus Nahr, on Flickr

In terms of scale, Berlin Hauptbahnhof is hard to take in.

Berlin Hauptbahnhof by Simone Graziano Panetto, on Flickr

Berlin Hauptbahnhof, Ostseite by Ansgar Koreng, on Flickr

In terms of beauty, I was impressed with Lisbon’s Estação do Oriente as well as its artful metro.

Oriente by H. A. Rivera, on Flickr

More space travel by Bosc d'Anjou, on Flickr

Metro Lisboa • Chelas
by Carlos Fonseca, on Flickr

Final shoutout goes to Melbourne’s grand Flinders Street Station.

Flinders Street Station Melbourne.Aust. by Bernard Spragg. NZ, on Flickr

6 Likes

Also, no longer an actual train station, but Musee d’Orsay in Paris is a great reappropriation of an amazing space. It’s worth hours of your time and a climb up the stairs and to the balcony.

Musée d'Orsay by Dimitry B., on Flickr

Musee D'Orsay by Shadowgate, on Flickr

Musee d'Orsay by Ernest McGray, Jr., on Flickr

Musee d'Orsay by Ernest McGray, Jr., on Flickr

Musée d'Orsay by Simon Schoeters, on Flickr

And there’s another thread idea for you, @EricGrundhauser, if you haven’t covered it already: the greatest reappropriated spaces, e.g. the Musee d’Orsay, San Francisco’s Church of 8 Wheels, etc.

5 Likes

That’s a terrific idea! I’ll get it into the rotation! Thank you!

1 Like

My Favourite Rail station is definitely York Station it’s a not well known is the in-between London and Edinburgh on the east coast mainline It has the nations museum of Rail and has excellent architecture in the process 1wr so I hope many of you decide to visit

3 Likes

These are all amazing!!

Might not be the greatest one, but Estação da Luz, in São Paulo (my hometown) is definitely nice. It was inspired by Kings Cross, and in a relatively young country such as Brazil, you don’t see many antique constructions like this one

3 Likes

My hometown! I can see it from my house. It was recently restored.