What is the World's Greatest Train Station?

That’s beautiful! The neon sign is the perfect accent piece.

The Central station of Antwerp, Belgium!

27 Likes

So many stations I haven’t been to yet, but I fell in love with Atocha station in Madrid. :heart_eyes:

17 Likes

Wow, that’s stunning!

2 Likes

It’s wonderful they have so many plants inside. It must help the air feel fresh.

1 Like

I found the station in Hua Hin , Thailand like stepping back in time. I don’t recall the year that it was built but I would guess possibly in the 1920’s. The station masters tower above the ticket office controls all the train track change switches via cables and pulleys going to a large bank of tall manual levers. Trains transiting through and not stopping can pick up messages concerning the train or track information by snatching a large ring containing messages from a arm that extends out to the edge of the train cars. The terminal in very ornate as it’s location is at the King of Thailand’s summer residence.

2 Likes

The stations of Naples underground are all decorated by pieces of art, or are pieces of art themselves, look for example the Toledo station (picture from Wikipedia)

12 Likes

I was struck by the vast space in the Kyoto, Japan station. When you walk inside, you’re awestruck by the size.
81 82

84 85

5 Likes

In 2014 I visited Moscow and was amazed at the beauty of the train stations - if only the rest of the world could put so much effort and detail into the designs and upkeep of these places for the public to enjoy! - photos of Kiyevskaya Subway

12 Likes

Wow, this is some amazing architecture!

1 Like

Not much of a true workhorse anymore, but the building is fantastic.

15 Likes

Kyoto Train Station, by far, in my experience.ElectricLightStairsSm

4 Likes

Thats truly mesmerizing!

Cincinnati’s Union terminal is is certainly a great example of art deco form and one of my favorite buildings anywhere. Nicely done photos.

1 Like

Don’t know if this counts but Chattanooga, TN (home of the Chattanooga Choo Choo) has a hotel set up at the site of the original train station. There are regular hotel rooms but for a not-too-exorbitant price you can stay in an authentic old sleeper car. It’s really charming with a full size bed and a day bed, plus they are dog friendly. We’ve stayed there twice and loved it.

5 Likes

During my first trip to Europe, I started in Italy and rode trains from Florence to Milan and then to the Netherlands. The train station in Milan was breathtakingly beautiful - marble floors, marble walls, HUGE marble columns at the entrance. I was fortunate to have several hours to explore both the train station and the nearby area. Since that trip was almost 20 years ago, I don’t have any digital photos but I found this link that gives one a tour. A must do stop if you’re ever in Italy. YouTube

2 Likes

Gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. I never knew. Wikipedia has an extensive article on this beautiful building, too Cincinnati Union Terminal - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Agree! It was quite a few years go (before it’s renewal) but I still vividly remember how impressed and awed I was when I alighted from my train from Brussels and slowly walked toward the exit, gazing at the amazing ceiling, glass and clock. When I finally got outside I took almost as long, walking backwards… The outside facade is not ugly either! Truly a memorable building.

1 Like

Have no pictures, but Union Station in DC is still my favorite.

1 Like

St. Petersburg also has beautiful stations.

1 Like