What to do around Blois

Hello! I’ll be spending a day in November in the town of Blois, France. I’ll have a car and was wondering if there’s any beautiful villages, sites, or anything of interest up to 45 minutes north or east of Blois. I’ll be spending the previous day around Amboise and the day after around Tours and Villandry. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Fortunate you! You will be in the heart of the chateaux of the Loire Valley. This link will show you the chateaux locations = Loire Valley Chateaux |Castles| visit from our extensive list. My personal favorites, in order of preference, are 1. Chambord (to me, is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, and the double staircase - designed so the king’s mistress could exit unseen as the queen arrived - is a work of art), 2. Amboise (Leonardo da Vinci’s tomb is there, and nearby is Château du Clos Lucé is Leonardo’s former home, where he lived until his death in 1519.), 3. Blois (the place where Joan of Arc went in 1429 to be blessed by the Archbishop of Reims before departing with her army to drive the English from Orléans - by the way, Orléans is a lovely city, graced with the glorious Saint-Croix Cathedral and Le Collégiale Saint-Aignan). But all of the chateaux are memorable. Enjoy!

2 Likes

The Loire Region is amazing! Here is all I did back in 2010, in three days. I stayed in Tours and also went back everyday. Luckly I had just updated the prices of the attractions to send to a friend, so here it is:
-Chateau de Villandry: famous for its gardens. adults pay €11
-Chateau Azay-le-Rideau: surrounded by a pit, is very fairy tale like. costs €10,50.
-Chateau de Cheverny: still inhabited, inspired Herge in the creation of Captain Haddock’s villa! This is the main reason I wanted to visit it! Costs €12
-Chambord Castle: A must see! Looks out of a fairy tale… and yet it was just the hunting challet of the king… the visit costs €14,50
-Chateau de Chenonceau: This castle was build over a river, so it kind of looks like a birdge! Tickets cost €14,50.
-Clos Lucé: Not a castle, but the final residence of Leonardo da Vinci!! A lot of his inventions are displayed there. Tickets are €16.

2 Likes