Where Should AO Trips Go Next?

Hi! I’m Annie with the Trips team at Atlas Obscura. Since 2016, Atlas Obscura has taken small groups of open-minded, independent, and adventurous travelers to incredible places around the world on trips that celebrate wonder and inspire curiosity. Among our adventures, we’ve witnessed the monarch butterfly migration in Mexico; paid tribute to Modernist Yugoslav memorials on a road trip across the Balkans; captured squid alongside scientists in the moonlit tides of Oahu; photographed Mongolia’s golden eagle festival; and eaten our way through the historical and contemporary culinary landscapes of China, Georgia, Mexico City, Lisbon, Naples, and Queens.

(Image: Darmon Richter)

But there are still so many places we haven’t been, and so much more to discover in the ones we have. As we look forward to more trips in the future, we’d love to hear from you about what kinds of places you’d like to see us go.

Tell us in the comments below about a place or destination you feel is under-appreciated. What experiences, activities, or encounters might help visitors appreciate it more? What would you tell someone to capture their curiosity about that place?

We can’t wait to hear from you!

3 Likes

Valletta on Malta. Capital of the country which is an archipelago south of Sicily.
-Knights of St. John
-Oldest covered structure in the world
-“Most bombed place on Earth”
-Maltese balcony
-3 cities harbors
-Popeye Village
-traditional painted fishing boats
So much detail . . .

4 Likes

The city of Zacatecas, Mexico seems greatly under-appreciated by tourism. A UNESCO world heritage site with an interesting history, geological features, AMAZING architecture and culture. To me, this one of the gateways to Northern Mexico, while far away from the border, you start hearing norteño accents, taste an abundance of beef-heavy dishes and see semi-desertic landscapes here, while still getting that older Central Mexican colonial city vibe.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it is one of the main cities in the traditional homeland of the Indigenous Huichol people. The Huichol are perhaps best known for their culture of handcrafts, specially those of meticulously assembled glass beads and bits of thread, and many of them sell these out of street stands through the city. The Museum of Zacatecas has some of the most impressive Huichol pieces I’ve ever seen.

Arte huichol: Visión de un mundo místico by vicos., en Flickr

For a relatively small city, I’d say it’s proportionately over-represented in AO with almost 5 sites, and I mean it in a good way.

4 Likes

The world is your oyster. Visit glaciers before before they disappear in Alaska, Canada, Greenland or Antarctica. Catch December 2020 Total Solar eclipse in Chile or Argentina.

4 Likes

The island of Heimaey in the Vestmann Islands off Iceland. The only place in the history of the world where humans fought a volcano and won

3 Likes

I would love to join a trip to see the great trees of the British Isles and beyond. Great and ancient trees are amazing beings, living in slow motion, on a different time scale from humans, and they are witness to so much history and change. Think ‘Meetings with Remarkable Trees’, and intersperse these meetings with other culturally interesting spots along the way. Many trees at Kew Gardens, e.g., returned with 18th century explorers and have been thriving for centuries, most likely now at the peak of their living arc. What a privilege it would be meet a few of these wonders.

3 Likes

I’m very excited to go on my first AO trip, the “Legends and Lore of the UK” tour in April! That said, I would save my pennies up for anything in Japan! From pop culture to art to history…lead the way and I will follow.

4 Likes

I agree with @annacborg that pop cultural Japan would be fantastic! I would also save up/commit various interesting crimes in order to experience that!*

Otherwise, I’d say that Roman North Africa and the something related to religions flowering in ancient India could be potentially mindblowing trips.

(* = This is a joke. I have no intention to commit any crimes.)

5 Likes

Thanks for this, @JamazingClayton! Great idea. We’re eager to develop a trip (or two or three) in Japan!

And! We’re totally on the same wavelength regarding North Africa and India. Have you seen our Tunisia trip for 2020? Roman ruins + abandoned Star Wars film sets + markets + medinas!

In the works for fall 2020: a trip exploring food and faith in India. Stay tuned…

1 Like

We’re so excited to have you travel with us in April, @annacborg! Get ready for an amazing time with our lovely guides, Keith and Catherine, who know the Dartmoor area like the back of their hands.

Also love the idea of pop culture and/or art trip to Japan!

Awesome idea, @cgralapp! If there’s one thing Atlas Obscura loves, it’s a remarkable tree. Definitely doing a bit of research to see if we can pull a trip like this off!

Lived here 22 years, and the City of Zacatecas and adjoining City of Guadalupe just get better. Summer is cool, natives about to melt if it is 80F. “Winter” in January and February is as unpredictable as it is where you live, but dys in lower 60s, nights a low of upper 30s. If you book and are fond of central heating make sure wherever you book has it. The number and quality of museums is astonishing which you own research can confirm. Ruins worth hiking about forty minutes south of town and yet another about one and one-half hours in another direction. The festivals, concerts, recitals, parades, etc., are numerous and we think worth the effort. This can be the best kept secret in Central Mexico, well used by Mexicano travelers, but almost unknown in a more International sense which is why we are here and not San Miguel. Do your research online, use the translator as museums and tourism is in Espanol. Inhabitants are gracious if you fumble through Espanol. Good roads, air, and bus from all directions.

2 Likes

Looking at the current AO trips, I see that all Mexico-based ones are related to gastronomy. I’ve also noticed lots of subway tours online for the well-known systems of Moscow, Pyongyang and Stockholm and I reckon Mexico City’s Metro would lend itself perfectly to such a tour. Features in the stations of Tacubaya, Zócalo, Mixcoac and Copilco are already in AO (with one I made for Auditorio likely to be published).

With boxing-themed Garibaldi, jungle-like Viveros, lucha libre-themed Guerrero, the Tunnels of Science and Bookstores and many other murals and works of art throughout, the almost 200 stations of this subway system are primed for exploration. The ticketing system is great as well, a single MXN $5 ticket is good for limitless trips regardless of distance. With the many food and drink options in the stations, as long as you don’t cross the exit turnstiles, you can easily spend the whole day exploring on a single entry.

1 Like

Religions in Ancient India sounds very exciting to me!

1 Like

I would love to go on an AO trip through New Jersey. AO has so many great articles on forgotten places in New Jersey and places being reclaimed by nature, and there are also places AO hasn’t covered (yet?), such as the old bicycle railway at Smithville (the central NJ Smithville, not the coastal village) and the old White Russian village and tiny, onion-domed Orthodox church at Rova Farms. And hey – bagels.