Which food you tried to cook back home after a food travel experience?

foods
food
foodtravel

I love to learn how to cook the dishes during my travel experiences. I believe to cook it later is the best way to remember the moments and tastes from the trip.

Have you ever cooked your favourite food travel discovery?

How do I get to Gastro Obscura

Yes. In Chile, I enjoyed a salad they would put out with the bread before a meal in restaurants (chopped tomatoes, finely chopped red onions, lots of chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice). In Morocco, I was surprised by how much I liked the lemon & olive chicken tagines. In Greece, the giant white beans in tomato sauce tasted much nicer than the UK style baked beans. In Jordan, quark / cream cheese and za’atar and olive oil would be on every breakfast table. And in the Azores, I fell in love with tamarillos. I’ve tried to emulate all of these at home (with some recipe search on the internet), and generally managed to produce pleasing results.
Alas, when it comes to the tamarillos, they are hard to find here, and sold for 3 Euros apiece rather than 2 Euros per kg, and even then they are not the same, as they are bigger and less flavourful, unfortunately. So I hope that they will one day become the next trendy exotic “superfood” so that there will be more of them available in shops, including the tasty ones…

After a genealogy research trip to Vermont, I tried recreating a baked Vermont cheese fondue I had in a small diner there. Luckily we can purchase a variety of Vermont cheese locally in Illinois. I had fun mixing different types of cheese and herbs to get it just right. I think I came pretty close.

Jerk chicken from Jamaica. After countless tries we figured out we were missing the pimento wood they cook on. It ended up becoming our business - we now are the only importer of pimento wood and leaves (PimentoWood.com) and now lots of people enjoy authentic jerk cuisine all over the USA!

Great topic!

This is obviously a drink and not a food, but I’ve tried and failed many times to recreate the Gluehwein found in German Christmas markets.

It seems I’m missing the most important ingredient of all—the chill that comes from medieval stone streets.

What a great question! Since I don’t really cook all too often, I’ve yet to attempt to recreate any specific dishes, but I did fall in love with the popular Hungarian paprika spread, Eros Pista, otherwise wonderfully known as Strong Steven. I bought three or four jars on my way home from Budapest, and have added it to everything from ramen to toast. I love it, but I’m almost out. Maybe it’s time to try and make my own!

Usually I miss some ingredient and the subject dies. :slight_smile:

I was determined to master the perfect croissants and french crepes when I got back from France. The croissants proved to be challenging, given our Canadian butter doesn’t contain enough fat (too much water content) to make them as flaky/buttery/all around amazing as the ones in France. I did also buy a special crepe pan and the funny wooden tools to make crepes the way you see them being made by street vendors. After many attempts I got quite good at it; then the tools went into the cupboard and rarely used again. I realized the magic of the food was more about the place and the atmosphere than the actual food itself.

On my honeymoon in Belize I ate a peanut soup that haunts me to this day. Other than peanuts and broth, I’m not sure what was in it, but I know what definitely was not in it: tomatoes, cream, coconut milk, or anything sweet. So far I’ve had no luck recreating it.

A few years ago I spent a week in Thailand, including a cooking class. Finding the right ingredients is key to this cooking. Pad Thai is a little tricky, but worth the effort. The curries are really easy. You can find the different curry pasts easily, but making your own is better. My favorites are green and Panang.

Ate all the wood fired tagines from road side vendors on a cross country tour of Morroco. My favourite was the lamb and prune. Loved it so much that I bought an heavy metal tagine at the market there, crammed it into my backpack and took it back to Paris then the US with me. Had to leave some clothes behind, which was a problem when the French air traffic controllers went on strike after I got to the airport and I had to extend my trip! Also snagged a Moroccan cookbook in French from a vendor in I think Marrakech. I still make tagines but I rarely having dinner parties large enough anymore to merit whipping this out. (Wine bottle for scale)

I have just recently been to Bangkok again and fell in love with all the street food markets, but in particular with one dish: Kao Kha Moo ( ข้าวขาหมู) - a pork leg stew. It is fragrant of spices like Anise and Cinnamon, and the dark gravy makes this dish some of the tastiest I’ve ever tried. Of course I had to make it at home, and it worked quite well. I published the full recipe on my blog www.puertoricanrum.com

I once tried to recreate the “tieban doufu,” or iron-plate tofu, that I used to eat in Taiwan almost every week. It was fried tofu with a soy-based sauce and pineapple (I think?!) and it came out sizzling on a red-hot iron plate. If you thought fajitas were attention-grabbing…

My version turned out awful, so I need to try again someday.

Onigiri and breakfast tacos!

After coming back from Austin, I made breakfast tacos for a few months. They turned out decently well, but I would batch them for a week at a time and at the end of the week the rice was too stale. I tried to make onigiri as well after coming back from Taiwan/Japan and enjoying the onigiri there. Mine didn’t quite turn out as good and my rice was not sticky enough to hold together super well. But, it was a fun experiment. I might try it again — onigiri is hard to find in Chicago.

gallo pinto, after eating it every day in costa rica. I realized the magic I was trying to recreate was the Salsa Lizano… and some cilantro et al. They would mix it with anything vegetable related, foods I normally didn’t love, and suddenly it was my FAVORITE!! so healthy. i love it. Looking to add some cubed summer squash, etc., like they did.

I visited New Orleans last year and decided I should try making my own gumbo. I did just that, but forgot to add the shrimps. It was still a decent gumbo.

Back in the 1970s, I passed very briefly through Tunisia. The French friend with me, who had been there before, insisted that I board a rattle-trap train for Sidi Bou Said, and once we were there enjoying the spanking white buildings and sparkling blue Mediterranean, he insisted that I eat some couscous. I wasn’t at all hungry, and I had no idea what couscous was (American girl in the early 1970s, remember), but when I finally gave in, I was sooo glad. Ever since then I’ve been trying to recreate what I had then, but although my couscous is eatable, it’s never as good as what I had in Tunisia.

Mumaliga (not sure about the spelling) from Romania. Delicious! have not mastered it here yet!

Tamale pie
We visited a restaurant in Tucson that served tamale pie and it blew my mind.

I’m on a breakfast Taco kick right now!