Which part of Tuscany makes the best home base?

My husband and I are hunting for a vacation rental property that will let us both relax in a beautiful setting but also explore some of Tuscany’s nooks and crannies. It’s a big region! Anybody have a recommendation of a town or specific area to help us narrow our search? Bonus points if we can walk to a village and/or any kind of transportation options.

I recommend Greve-in-Chianti! It’s a small, walkable village with a great main piazza with all the essentials: butcher shop, bakery, wine stores, restaurants, and cute cafes to have coffee or aperitivo. It’s not very touristed and the locals are still happy to have visitors. One downside is there’s no train station (there are buses that run locally and to Florence) but when my husband and I stayed in 2016, there was plenty of car parking. Landscape wise it’s super Tuscan - cypress trees and rolling hills and farmhouses - plus it’s Chianti so the wine is excellent!

So helpful, thank you!

We stayed in Montepulciano and it was a perfect place to see this area of Tuscany, the Val d’Orcia. The scenery north of Pienza is iconic with many lovely towns to visit and stay. We loved this area so much that we are headed back in June and staying in a farmhouse on the outskirts of Montisi. Have a great trip!

Thank you!

Hi there, we stayed right outside of Pienza and the Val D’ Orcia is truly breathtaking. The town is called SAN Giovanni D’Asso, the villa site is Borgo Lucignanello Bandini. Truly off the beaten path, authentic and non touristy area. It’s also much closer to Rome airports and close to Siena.

It’s not an easy question, but fortunately I’m sure wherever you stay you will have a great time.

We’re staying in Barberino Val D’elsa - just to the edge of Chianti - in April, and have previously stayed near Volterra, Lucca and San Gimignano.

If you’re planning to do long daily drives, somewhere central might suit, but our preference is to select somewhere and just explore the local area. If you haven’t been to Tuscany before, I’d recommend somewhere in Chianti or near San Gimignano because there are so many places to explore.

I also stayed in the village of Montisi back in 2008. Loved the fact that it is close to Florence, but located “in the countryside”. Short drives to Pienza to see the Pieve there and another short trip to Sienna for a visit to the Duomo. Lovely house and I wonder if it could be the same rental we used.
I think a lady in the Northeastern US owns it and rents. My friend rented so I don’t know the particulars, but we loved the house and it had many conveniences lacking in other rentals.

Great suggestion, thank you!!

Indeed, it’s been difficult to choose! But you’re right, the good news is we’re likely to have a great time no matter what we decide. Thank you!

Definitely going to take a look at Montisi. Thanks so much!