Why Hasn't My Place/Food Submission Been Published?

Hey again @coolcrab! Unfortunately I can’t speak to the specifics of why the editors chose not to accept this place, but as ever, you can reach out to them at places@atlasobscura.com for more details.

Hi - I’m wondering what is the typical turnaround time to publication? I submitted an article about a week ago and received the “we received your article” and when I went back to the piece it had clearly been edited (some of the paragraphs were switched around). I actually thought then it had been published but when I go to my profile it is listed as unpublished. Just wondering at one point it’s right to inquire with the places email address. Thanks!

Hey @Gina_Buonaguro! Thank you for contributing the terrific place and I apologize for any confusion. Your place has been edited and is set to publish at 10am on the 18th. Unfortunately the system doesn’t alert users when things are set to publish in the future, which can cause this confusion, but you should be all set. Thanks again for your patience and for contributing the amazing place. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Amazing! Thanks for the great news and also the very quick reply! Much appreciated.

Of course! Thanks for being a part of the community!

I’m also wondering about a submission from a few weeks ago that is yet to be reviewed:

I even sent an e-mail to places@atlasobscura.com asking about the same thing, but haven;t received any response yet.

Hey @CDVV86! I apologize for the delay, the database editors are currently reviewing your place and should be in touch soon. Apologies again for the delayed response, and let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

1 Like

Not MY place strictly, but I did edit this entry for accuracy. I am now noticing that it has been moved to “unpublished” and I was wondering if there’s any way I could take over authorship to get it published or if it’s ok to write a new entry for this same sculpture?

Thanks in advance.

Hey again @linkogecko! I’m sorry for the confusion surrounding this place and your edits. It seems that there is a technical glitch that was displaying that place as unpublished, but it should be resolved. Your edits have also been incorporated into the entry at this time.

If you ever have any other questions about specific place entries, you can always reach out directly to the database editors as well, at places@atlasobscura.com. Apologies again for the confusion, but feel free to let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!

1 Like

I wanted to bring up the question of the foods section again.

I’ve added some dishes, some months ago and nothing. No yes, no no, just nothing. This has been an annoyance for me for a long time now and i’m really getting to the point where I don’t want to submit foods any more, as most of the submissions just end up in limbo.

I feel like I have a good feeling of what you guys like in the places section and I now have a near 100% publishing rate of the stuff that I submit. (some become stubs, but I guess that that still counts.) For foods I’d say its near 30% overall and 0% recently.
A lot of my early foods got accepted when the database was new, later I needed to email the editors to draw attention to them and now nothing seems to work anymore. I’m not sure if this is because my foods are not interesting or the articles are too short, or anything else. The rules seem to be changing constantly and I just don’t seem to know how to get a hit in that category.

I try to submit a food every now and then to see if anything is changing, but it does not seem to be the case. I’m also always afraid of my places getting reclassified as foods, as that basically means that they won’t get published. E.g. The worlds first ice bar, which was classified as a food and then rejected because there are more ice bars now. While I am 100% sure that it would have been published as a place.

You guys made really amazing improvements to the places section with a good streamline of the process, maybe something similar can be done to the foods section? I really like publishing in the atlas, visiting interesting places, researching them and sharing the information with others. Its similar for foods and there is a lot of cool stuff out there, but lately I just find myself clicking the entries, seeing that nothing changes and end up annoyed, which is not the state I want to be in when contributing here.

I do not know if others have similar experiences, but it would be great if this could be addressed.

2 Likes

Hey again, @CoolCrab, thanks for reaching out again. I’m sorry for the confusion, and I can understand your frustration. The short answer to the issues that you raise about how we handle Foods and Food Place submissions, is that the Gastro Obscura arm of our database is much newer and very much still evolving and changing.

While the process for publishing Places is relatively well-established, we are continuing to change and refine how Foods best work on Atlas Obscura. We want our Food entries to be as useful and fascinating as they can be, and that development process is still ongoing. This being the case, there are definitely parts of our process where we’re falling short, and Food submissions like the ones you’ve mentioned adding can take longer than usual to process, or worse, fall through the cracks. I apologize again for the frustration this has caused.

There are different editors for our Places and Foods database, but they are part of the same team managing our user contributions. So for instance, the ice bar you mentioned was looked at by both editors and they both decided that it was not a great fit for the database. However, many of the foods you have submitted that seem to be stuck in limbo are still waiting to be put through the Foods publishing process.

We’re aware that this is confusing, and thank you again for your patience while we try to make the process more painless. The Foods database, and the Gastro Obscura department as a whole will be undergoing even more, and even more dramatic changes in the near future, and I hope that you can continue to be understanding and bear with us as we improve.

As ever, you can find out more about specific Place and Food contributions by emailing the editors directly. Thank you again for the feedback, and I hope this helps assuage some of your frustration, but feel free to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Couldn’t agree more. I am from Verona and I got married at Juliet’s Tomb. The main hall were the ceremony was held is covered in frescoes and entrance to the site is a column-lined pathway. The whole thing was lovely.

It is not right in the middle of town, but it is also within walking distance.

1 Like

You got married at Juliet’s Tomb! :heart_eyes: :open_mouth: I can imagine it being just as lovely as you say! Verona is such a wonderful place and I look forward to returning again (hopefully with some romantic reasoning as well, even if it’s not to get married!).

I’ve been waiting this moment for a long time Eric Grundhauser :clap: . Each of us thinks that the places we add are the “creme de la creme”, but I understand that you have to make a selection. In my beginnings I added a site that has always seemed to me very highly suitable for Atlas Obscura places, and this for a number of reasons: Its bizarre connotations and imitation of more or less achieved monuments and also all of them in a small space that can be visited for free. In addittion it is very close to Madrid, where I live. It is about Parque Europa in Torrejón de Ardoz
that initially (I have to admit) was not a very successful publication but later it was “remastered” https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/parque-europa-europe-park with the same result: It was not published. Would it be interesting to dissect this place in small parts? Greetings to the whole team. If I was born again I would like to have a job like yours.

Hey @luis_morato,

Thanks for the note and for all of the awesome place submissions you’ve added to the Atlas Obscura database. Unfortunately, I can’t speak to specific Place entries, but if you reach out to our database editors directly at places@atlasobscura.com, they can give you more information about your submission. Apologies again for the confusion, but feel free to let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!

Oye Luis,

Una preguna , ¿Has visitado el Museo de Historia Natural de Madrid?

Si no, podría ser una buena idea de visitarlo y luego escribir un artículo para publicar en AO, ya que es uno de los Museos de Historia Natural más antiguos de todo Europa (Bien importante en la historia de la ciencia también) y pues creo que merece mucho mas visitas y atención / estimacion del público.

Hola Monsieur Mictlan
supongo que te refieres al Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales. No sólo lo conozco, sino que además trabajé allí. Respecto a este museo tengo sentimientos encontrados. Es cierto que tiene una de las mejores colecciones de taxidermia de Europa y también una impresionante colección de entomología. Pero es más interesante por lo que tiene bajo llave que lo que expone al público. Tengo pensado pasarme por allí algún día, pues si que tengo alguna idea en concreto, aunque no del museo en conjunto. Lo que verdaderamente es una pena que su gran colección de animales disecados que todos los de mi edad recuerdan, ahora se pudren en una nave industrial a las afueras de Madrid. Sería genial que el edificio, en el que ocupa sólo un ala, pudiera dedicarse al museo. Gracias por el apunte MM!

1 Like

Hey any news on the foods database? I would like to add more stuff to that and get my hanging submissions checked.

Hey @CoolCrab, thanks for the note. Currently, we’re working on some major updates to the way Gastro Obscura entries work. As soon as the updates have been implemented, we’ll definitely let you know! Hope this helps, and always feel free to reach out with questions and concerns.

Would be great, I have a relatively big backlog of foods, but since the editor told me to stop submitting I didn’t want to waste everybody’s time. It’s a bit annoying to still see foods get published though.