"Why President Coolidge Never Ate His Thanksgiving Raccoon" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, Why President Coolidge Never Ate His Thanksgiving Raccoon. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

1 Like

Raccoon meat is greasy, foul tasting and tough if not prepared properly. The preparation process is a lengthy ordeal and still doesn’t guarantee a palatable meal. Don’t forget, raccoons are rather endearing and I can understand the reluctance to eat an animal that many take as pets. Given the choice, I’d take turkey over raccoon for any meal.

1 Like

I remember raccoon meat being sold in Baltimore’s Lexington Market when I was growing up in the 1960’s. It might still be sold there now.

1 Like

My comic response to this article. :smile:

Although raccoons & many other animals harbor the Baylisascarial parasite, it’s very dangerous to humans, causing eye, brain, other organ damage/death.
Raccoons use ‘latrines’ with piles of contaminated feces; children occ. ‘play’ with older piles since the dried up fecal matter reduces to dried dusty material; & we know little boys love to play with dirt & dust.

Apparently raccoon meat can be properly cooked to kill parasites likely in the critter.
Eating raw meats, seafood, etc., automatically
enrolls the diner in the Darwin Award Program.
Dan Olson, MD (ret’d pathologist)

2 Likes

Cooked, raw… won’t catch me eating it. :neutral_face::nauseated_face::expressionless: